Two times - or another one for Dick

Russethouse

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you on this one and worry that it may be going the way of "thrice", now totally defunct. Only justifiable use of "two times" is in Doors classic "Love Me Two Times" and even that goes on to say "Love me twice today". (Probably before your time RH)

Also of course, two times table!

>>(Probably before your time RH)<<

'Fraid not !

I used to work with a girl who referred to calculations as 'number work' I know it was correct but it made it sound like infant school (unsurprising, as she had been an infant teacher [;-)])

What I find even more irritating is the BBC using these expressions when it was once the bastion of the English language [:(]

[quote user="Chris Head"]

'Two times' instead of 'twice', nope it doesn't work at all....I went to the cinema two times this week....I went to the cinema twice this week. Only one of them sounds right.

[/quote]

Chris - that should be "I went cinema two times this week, innit."  Or, some kids would (really) say, "I goed (or I go) cinema two times" - all the strong verbs are going.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

>>(Probably before your time RH)<<

'Fraid not !

I used to work with a girl who referred to calculations as 'number work' I know it was correct but it made it sound like infant school (unsurprising, as she had been an infant teacher [;-)])

What I find even more irritating is the BBC using these expressions when it was once the bastion of the English language [:(]

[/quote]

And you can add to that the appalling standard of written English in "The Times".

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Possibly. Some days I can scarcely remember my own name.

I remember seeing 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' three times in a week because everyone else refused to go with my mother and I was too young to complain...
[/quote]

I saw "Women in Love" twelve times in a week when I worked at the cinema. All the usherettes came in every performance to see the nude wrestling scene.

My mother took me to see The King & I because she couldn't get a babysitter....

I used to be an usherette too, Kathy, but I worked. in a theatre in Guernsey. (had to wear a white blouse and a long blue skirt.)

The only thing I really remember is the cat in Bell, Book and Candle being Pyewacket. Oh and the Sunday concerts where two lads (rather like Journey South) used to do a lot of Simon & Garfunkle numbers

Well, look on the bright side, RH......at least there wasn't someone playing an organ or a piano at the front of the cinema while The Keystone Kops ran amok![;-)]

I was forced to see "Genevieve" (the one about the car with lots of Larry Adler music in the background). It wouldn't have been so bad, but we only ended up there because I'd wanted to see "Summer Holiday" and we couldn't get in because it was full. Mothers, eh?

>>>Am I the only one old enough to remember going to the flicks?<<<

Many years ago, these friends of my parents in law came to stay. On this particular day both my in-laws had other engagements and it was left to OH and I to look after these guests.

We politely ask them what would they like to do. The lady replied : 'I'd love to go to the bioscope'

I quickly went to my trusty English-French dictionary to find out what a bioscope was!

In French 'going to the flick' is altogether another proposition... flick being slang for the gendarme...

[quote user="Croixblanches"]

Well, look on the bright side, RH......at least there wasn't someone playing an organ or a piano at the front of the cinema while The Keystone Kops ran amok![;-)]

I was forced to see "Genevieve" (the one about the car with lots of Larry Adler music in the background). It wouldn't have been so bad, but we only ended up there because I'd wanted to see "Summer Holiday" and we couldn't get in because it was full. Mothers, eh?[/quote]

I'm not very far from Henley where until fairly recently (last 15 years) there was an organ which came up  in the interval and went down at the end to the tune 'California here I come' often it was the best entertainment of the night !

When the cinema was sold there was a  'Save the organ campaign' and I think its now in Henley's town hall.

* Another pet hate - 'for free' .................after last nights film review, slapped hands Mr Woss !

** add Breakfast's ubiquitous 'what more do you know' - just on the grounds of over use [:@]

Russet !! I remember the cinema!

I used to work at the Red Lion in Henley (opposite the Leander Club by the bridge)

Wow! THAT IS many moons ago!.....

I thought the organ was the best part of going out to see the pictures!

Of course being quite new in this country then I was well taken by the quaintness of it all! and if I'd know about the campaign I would have been there to help save it!!

Crikey RH, I'm not that far from Henley either, and I never knew that! In fact, I didn't know Henley ever had a cinema!

...and useless, pointless adjectives "at the present moment"

....and qualifying superlatives "totally unique"

...and "the only criteria is"  (Grrrrr)

"there was an organ which came up  in the interval and went down at the end"

I used to have one of those, too.[:D]

Would that have been scampi provencal in a basket?

My pet hates: 'at this moment in time' (what else would you have a moment in?); any use of the word 'leverage' outside pure mechanics (you know, fulcrums - or is it really fulcra? - and the like), in fact most business-speak; greengrocers' apostrophes; not knowing when to use 'less' or 'fewer' (to recall a recent conversation with our Dick); and, one of Judie's bêtes noires which annoys me just as much, 'different to'.

I agree about 'totally unique' but 'almost unique' is worse. The first is little more than tautologous, whereas the second is total nonsense.

This is getting more like Grumpy Old Men all the time.

I'm with Judie on 'different from' but I can't get very worked up about fewer and less. What REALLY bugs me is people who say di-sect instead of diss-ect. There are two perfectly good words, dissect and bisect, but they are now conflated into one meaningless portmanteau word. Oh god, I think my head's going to explode again.

(And SB the word for doing something twelve times is either 'dozening', or referring to the first part of Will's post in which he laments the passing of the Mighty Wurlitzer, 'imagining'.)