Tax deductible support for son at University

HoneySuckleDreams

Last year (and to be honest 2014 as well) we gave No1 son approx. €300 a month to support him at University.

I believe that that money is tax deductible. Has anyone out there tried to claim the tax credit ? 

I have two further questions.

1) if so, is it simply a matter of putting in an amount on the tax return (which box??) 

2) would there be any other knock effects by trying to claim a tax credit ? Basically, by trying to claim a tax credit will there be something else that will bite us in the @rse later...something to do with the number of "parts" in the household being reduced (knowing how the French work a couple of years in arrears)

Any help would be appreciated

We declare for our daughter, the unjustifiable amount for last year (2014) was 3403, im trying to find out if it is more or less this year. Can't seem to find the information. You put it in box AO1 of the blue form.

You might have a different circumstance as in justifiable (we never thought it was worth the hassle) so your declaration might be different.

Good luck.

I claimed for several years for our youmgest son au Uni in the UK. I put the amount of the support finnace in box 6EL on the blue 2042. There was a ceiling figure of around 5,600€ from memory. I was never asked to justify the figures.

Hope this helps

B.

[quote user="mogs"]We declare for our daughter, the unjustifiable amount for last year (2014) was 3403, im trying to find out if it is more or less this year. Can't seem to find the information. You put it in box AO1 of the blue form.

You might have a different circumstance as in justifiable (we never thought it was worth the hassle) so your declaration might be different.

Good luck.[/quote]

If you mean box 1AO, in the section "VOS REVENUS", that is for money you have received, not paid out.