Stick to the point perhaps.?

Gastines

Indeed. I had to do a mercy dash by car to take #2 son to college, in Twickers, and TOH left home for the first train of the day, and had to change trains at both Staines and Putney. It's happened twice in the last fortnight, although once it only affected the line as far as Staines. [6]

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Ah, but this was the SW Trains service from Windsor & Eton Riverside, calling at Datchet, Sunnymeads, Wraysbury, Staines, Ashford, Feltham, Whitton, Twickenham, Richmond, Putney, Clapham Junction, Vauxhall and London Waterloo.....and I had to hitch hike from there. Sorry.[/quote]

Sorry Bet.

I always thought Staines was something Ali G made up. You (sorry, I) live and learn.[:D]

I remember when we bought our house in France, the offspring wanted to know why we lived near Staines in England and another town with the same letters rearranged in France. It has worn very thin and TOH now snaps at anyone who says "We're just popping into Staines" when over in France. The lovely Mr G was a regular feature of the High Street when making his film. It provided many useful excuses for lateness home from school.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Ah, but this was the SW Trains service from Windsor & Eton Riverside, calling at Datchet, Sunnymeads, Wraysbury, Staines, Ashford, Feltham, Whitton, Twickenham, Richmond, Putney, Clapham Junction, Vauxhall and London Waterloo.....and I had to hitch hike from there. Sorry.[/quote]

Blige me, me old home town is among that bunch, I've come over all emotional now "Stand back on the platform, front coaches for Staines blah blah blah... rear coaches for Windor, Eton riverside and Bettys back garden...." Not sure if that's right, the memory plays tricks but you couldn't understand what was said ! ! Did the Station wallah talk through sheepskin muffs ?

Ah those were the days, Euros were just a twinkle  in the sky.................

Betty, what school are (were) you associated with in Staines ?

No, they still talk into a sock. I got the train with an offspring in tow a few months ago, and was somewhat shocked at Waterloo to hear " Passengers for  Sunnymeads and Datchet please join the front 4 coaches of the train due to a short fat bloke at these stations" Upon interrogating the offspring, I was advised that the short fat bloke is, in fact, a short platform.

My kids both went to Magna Carta - which they shouldn't have done really because it's in posh Surrey as opposed to posh Berkshire. However, we live in an educational black hole in sunny Datchet, and Slough Grammar (the one with the penguin suits) was full. I was educated in the North. We'd just got education at the time although many of the motorways were still cobbled.

Ah ha, we have had a couple of Nieces and Nephews pass through Magna Carta, don't know if any stopped long enough to be taught though !!

Slough Grammar, the wonderful Eton (not my old school I have to add, just in case, due to the way I speak people are tempted to think, oh that's Miki's old school....... don't you know) [:)]

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]...eels have remained a cultural mystery.[/quote]

Don't worry. Miki will wax lyrical about them. Or was that winkles?[:D]

Hey Betty, your town that sounds a bit like Staines isn't that far from me. A very nice town it is too.

[quote user="Tresco"]

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]...eels have remained a cultural mystery.[/quote]

Don't worry. Miki will wax lyrical about them. Or was that winkles?[:D]

Hey Betty, your town that sounds a bit like Staines isn't that far from me. A very nice town it is too.

[/quote]

Did I tell you, an old friend of mine cornered a large part of the market on eels a few years ago....well there you go, that's helped you sleep better tonight eh [:)]

Trap 6 to beat 4 ....5 times and a nice pot of jellieds please miss...oh and a wadge of bread out the bucket......

[quote user="Tresco"]

[/quote]

Would this be a good time to wax lyrical about oysters then, or shall we give that a swerve?

BTW, is there any consensus about which point we're currently sticking to, or are we keeping a low profile in case Cassis pops back with a pyramid?  (or worse still, in case someone pops back with some eels. What's that "liquor" business all abaht, then?)

[quote user="chris pp"]

You into jellied eels, Tres?   They are dead easy to make, it's holding them still while you cut the heads of that's the hard bit.[/quote]

Eeek (I think I'm safe using that term).

No Chris, you are talking to the woman who thinks slugs can attack (Tora! Tora! Tora! style).

However, I will pass this on to the long suffering (and starving) OH who loves all these things of which you speak...

[quote user="chris pp"]

You into jellied eels, Tres?   They are dead easy to make, it's holding them still while you cut the heads of that's the hard bit.

Chris

[/quote]

Newspaper Chris......and a sharp knife, a glass of warm beer et viva Saragossa [:)]

Not sure how you make an eel but I did see it done once on Blue Peter..........

[quote]

Would this be a good time to wax lyrical about oysters then, or shall we give that a swerve?

[/quote]

No, No, never swerve from an Oyster, they are to be savoured and swallowed by the kilo. At Xmas we shall purchase enough to finish our path (all the rage in Berkshire they tell me ) and drink wine with them for brekkers........doesn't every one ?

[quote user="Miki"]
Not sure how you make an eel but I did see it done once on Blue Peter..........

[/quote]

Of course! An old Fairy Liquid bottle, some pipecleaners, the essential sticky-backed plastic and some wire coathangers. Oh no, silly me that wasn't an eel, that was the Blue Peter Advent Crown. They look similar. If you can't find your glasses.

[quote]

Of course! An old Fairy Liquid bottle, some pipecleaners, the essential sticky-backed plastic and some wire coathangers. Oh no, silly me that wasn't an eel, that was the Blue Peter Advent Crown. They look similar. If you can't find your glasses.

[/quote]

Oh no..................................funny I fawt, it took me 20 minutes to eat that eel last night, so looked in the bin et voila, there it was staring up at me, a bleedin' Carrefour washing up bottle wiv great big teeth marks....and yes, me glasses did go walk abart last night.

Ian, if you're concerned, I'll happily press the report button myself and ask a mod to split this off into another thread. That way you'll be able to say whatever it was you wanted to say, and everyone should be happy. I'm sure no-one will mind.

There, I've done it. I've reported myself. It cost nothing, and I hope it solves the problem.

Been away for a bit but I see it's still nicely on track and I picked up the theme straight away.

If anybody is interested I've been scouring the net for a Clique and I've bought one on a, buy one get one free.  I can't use two so if anybody wants a spare Clique it's out in the barn, just help yourself.