Tablecloths.......

Meg

We'll be convening in the lounge at about 7:30 for 8, dress will be smart casual, although I'll be using the blue and yellow floral tablecloth if anyone wants to co-ordinate ties, the hankies in their blazer pockets or twinsets. I've crocheted a new crinoline lady for the downstairs toilet and freshened the nets and the antimacassars with a nice fabric conditioner in the wash, there'll be no need to tuck the cloth into your collar as serviettes will be provided, and I'll polish the silver toothpick holder and spitoon (although I'm putting the latter outside on the patio under the gazebo.........). I've got a lovely set of matching pinny, oven gloves and teatowels especially for the occasion, and if a few crumbs spill on the axminster, there'll be no problem as I've charged up the dustbuster. I've invited our neighbours from the big house on the hill, too. Does everyone like Harvey's Bristol Cream, btw??

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done better than that, ladies! I've made up the spare room twin beds with my best candlewick bedspreads, put the spare teasmade into the spare room (doesn't everyone have two?) and put a nice sefreash pot pourri into the spare room ensuite (under the crinoline lady, behind the nets on the windowsill). Just in case anyone doesn't feel up to driving home. Oh, and I've put a new tumble-twist seat cover and matching pedestal mat down in the downstairs cloakroom. . I've turned the little dial on my handy milk bottle holder round to "one extra pint please, milkman", as well. I'm sure I've forgotten something, though. I'd better check to make sure I've got enough big potatoes and foil for the cheese and pineapple hedgehogs, I suppose.

Edit: James last is a bit up-tempo for a candlelight supper, don't you think, Gay? I rejected Celine Dion and Acker Bilk already, for that very reason. I'm reserving judgment on the Joe Loss Orchestra.

"Good-oh! Let me know what time to expect you..................................."

Betty,

[8-)]

isn't it a bit late for dinner tonight? please make a decision, choose the right cloth and all the other tasteful bits and bobs, then let us know the time and date........................of course we will all R.S.V.P.

[:)]

p.s. please can you give me plenty of notice as my diary is pretty full and I have to arrange a babysitter for les sept nains

>>Edit: James last is a bit up-tempo for a candlelight supper, don't you think, Gay? I rejected Celine Dion and Acker Bilk already, for that very reason. I'm reserving judgment on the Joe Loss Orchestra.<<

Ah, but I have a James Last story esp for Candlelight suppers.

Topped up the tupperware with sugar puffs ?

[quote user="Blanche Neige"]

isn't it a bit late for dinner tonight? please make a decision, choose the right cloth and all the other tasteful bits and bobs, then let us know the time and date........................of course we will all R.S.V.P.

[:)]

p.s. please can you give me plenty of notice as my diary is pretty full and I have to arrange a babysitter for les sept nains

[/quote]

That's quite alright, BN, I mentioned earlier it's not till next week. It will have to be Thursday, I'm afraid, as there's a ladies' evening at the golf club on Tuesday, and I'm having the Hostess Trolley serviced on Wednesday. I shall need to give the cake shop plenty of notice in order to get exactly the right mix of iced fancies for my cake stand (although opas has kindly offered hers too - but I'm not sure if it's the same size as my doilies). I shall confirm with a little note, though, so that everyone can RSVP and I won't have to throw food away.

[quote user="Blanche Neige"]

I'm hoping that Prawn Cocktail, and Baked Alaska will be on the menu and I am sure you have something great in mind for the main course.[8-|]

You've not forgotten the silk flower arrangements, have you?

[/quote]

I gave the daffs a good shaking in a plastic bag with some salt, and you just wouldn't believe the grime that came out of them. They look almost as good as new. I'm hesitant about the baked Alaska, as I've got some lovely sponge fingers and tinned fruit in the cupboard just crying out to be made into a lovely sherry trifle. As for the main course, well I was originally going to keep the whole evening simple with finger food. You know the sort of thing....vol au vents with a range of fillings, finger rolls with egg and cress, perhaps a few little sandwich triangles with salmon paste and cucumber (although I know how it repeats on some people...). Such a lot depends on the weather......

You know the sort of thing....vol au vents with a range of fillings, finger rolls with egg and cress, perhaps a few little sandwich triangles with salmon paste and cucumber

Betty, [blink]

you're making me feel all nostalgic now, my mum used to make food like this for our birthday parties.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"][quote user="Blanche Neige"]

I'm hoping that Prawn Cocktail, and Baked Alaska will be on the menu and I am sure you have something great in mind for the main course.[8-|]

You've not forgotten the silk flower arrangements, have you?

[/quote]

I gave the daffs a good shaking in a plastic bag with some salt, and you just wouldn't believe the grime that came out of them. They look almost as good as new. I'm hesitant about the baked Alaska, as I've got some lovely sponge fingers and tinned fruit in the cupboard just crying out to be made into a lovely sherry trifle. As for the main course, well I was originally going to keep the whole evening simple with finger food. You know the sort of thing....vol au vents with a range of fillings, finger rolls with egg and cress, perhaps a few little sandwich triangles with salmon paste and cucumber (although I know how it repeats on some people...). Such a lot depends on the weather......

[/quote]

Definatly coming now.........salmon paste and cucumber sandwiches  mmmmmm, though do you think you could do a few on finger rolls for me. have you thought about Arctic Roll for desert? not so much preparation.