guinea pig recipes

woolybanana (ex tag)

Guinea pigs are eaten in many parts of South America and I know that there is a company in Belgium that produces them both for the table and for inclusion in prepared foods. Many are exported to France.  Does anyone have any really good recipes for them other than the standard

http://www.shelfordfeast.co.uk/guineapig.html

and those few on the web. I thought of something with a light curry sauce might be good.

My visitors who have eaten it often say that the meat is very delicate and much finer than rabbit, ostrich or veal. What is your experience please?

Is there a commercial market for the meat or would we have to hide it under some highfallutin name or even just incorporate it (without identity) into so many of the things you see and maybe buy in the supermarket at present?

You advice would be welcome please.

You just breed the longer legged, giant version (that is the true South American one) which is not so nice and will take your fingers off given a chance. They have much more meat than rabbits this type and are much less prone to disease etc. They also grow nicely on just about anything. In fact a friend of mine works in the local rabbit abbatoir and he tells me, though with slight hesitation as it is not generally known, that they are dealing with more and more gpigs. he reckons much of the meat you see as rabbit could be gpig. He says just use rabbit recipes and I must say they are quite good, though the Belgian ones are better, but I think they kill the flavour of the meat which, as I said, is finer than rabbit.

We have put a few in the freezer and they are lovely smoked so I have discovered. Given their breeding rate I should be able to take orders in the spring.

By the way, part of the purpose of this thread, we are going to be visiting markets in various parts of France as part of a publicity campaign with our canard d'inde on a stick (bit like turkey twizzlers really) and brochettes. So, please come along and try. And I'll be finishing a web site for orders when we have enough quantity to deliver. We have a freezer van.

woolybanana wrote

You just breed the longer legged, giant version (that is the true South American one) which is not so nice and will take your fingers off given a chance. They have much more meat than rabbits this type and are much less prone to disease etc. They also grow nicely on just about anything. In fact a friend of mine works in the local rabbit abbatoir and he tells me, though with slight hesitation as it is not generally known, that they are dealing with more and more gpigs. he reckons much of the meat you see as rabbit could be gpig. He says just use rabbit recipes and I must say they are quite good, though the Belgian ones are better, but I think they kill the flavour of the meat which, as I said, is finer than rabbit.

We have put a few in the freezer and they are lovely smoked so I have discovered. Given their breeding rate I should be able to take orders in the spring.

Do they taste better than a Hamlet?

Leo

[quote user="woolybanana"]

You got the book of recipes ok Pearly? let me know what you think.

Remember to remove the squeak too.

[/quote]

Thanks Wooly,

I have the book and I am now onto more adventurous recipes, I will be out shopping today for a large pan for the cow, if things get deperate then I will give Dan a call. By the way do you have a copy of the 'Composting Toilets for Parrots' book as I am having terrible trouble getting them (the Parrots) to flush.

regards

Pearly

[quote user="Pearly Spencer"] By the way do you have a copy of the 'Composting Toilets for Parrots' book as I am having terrible trouble getting them (the Parrots) to flush.

[/quote]

Have you checked that they can actually grasp the handle with their beaks?

The secret is to put essence of apple on the handle, then they will flush with a will. Cost a fortune in water. However don't let the cat use the loo at the same time. They are terrified the parrots will nip their nellies and get all constipated. Which is how you can tell a cat that lives in the same house as a parrot. It walks with its back legs crossed.