guinea pig recipes

woolybanana (ex tag)

When travelling through Inca country, a popular Andean dish is the roast Cavie, or Cuy as it is more popularly called due to the Cuy Cuy sound it makes, although it has to be said this takes on a more high pitched sound when it hits the hot oil. 

Many a night I have sat tucking in to Cuy and rice with the Andean pipe music ensemble in the background. 

The same music can be enjoyed at all the big cities of Europe, although so far I have not spotted Cuy on the menu in those same cities.  Perhaps they don’t travel well.

[quote user="Weedon"]

Many a night I have sat tucking in to Cuy and rice with the Andean pipe music ensemble in the background. 

The same music can be enjoyed at all the big cities of Europe, although so far I have not spotted Cuy on the menu in those same cities.  Perhaps they don’t travel well.

[/quote]

You're right, Weedon, they do not travel well, being prone to airsickness.

Incidentally, the pipes to which you refer are known as Pan Pipes, due to the tradition of playing them as an accompaniment to pan-fried Cuy (= guinea pig).  Similar to piping in the Haggis in Scotchland.  Hence the expression "piping hot".

While travelling though the Jungle the locals use to catch in the mornings some thing that looked very much like a big guinea pig , they use to gut them and flatteren them out on 3 sticks , like a fan shaped kekbab, rub hot chillis and coco powder into them , these were then cooked over the fires in the evening, the only decoration we had on ours were flies , no fancy bows [:)]   

Woolywotsit wrote:-Is this music played by the same group who play just outside my local Macdonalds.

Probably the same ones, although the sticky BBQ Rib sauce plays havoc with their rendition of My Way!  Apparently the manager is sick and tired of telling them that a Cavie McMuffin will never catch on.