UK floods

Patf

[quote user="Michael"] To top it all ,our house in france has been broken into, i just hope it has not been trashed.Somebody up there is not smiling down on us at the moment ,still it could have been worse.[/quote]

Very best wishes that it all works out.  Couldn't have come at a worse time.  Take a deep breath, followed by a stiff brandy and tell yourself (again & again) that the world isn't against you!

Easy to say from here I know, but it might be my nightmare tomorrow.  

• 3 weeks later...
 To all you nice people who wished us well .Some little news about our break in.It was not a Frenchman or English ,but an Australian walking tourist staying in a cottage by the Seine with his 12 year old daughter.We went back to france the next day after the breakin ,having arrived at our house,had a good look around,found the trail left in the long grass by the vandels, so back tracked from my property right to the back door of these people and confronted them.Asked him what the bl--- y hell he thought he was playing at etc,turned out he was just plain nosing about.Damage done,shutter forced and two broken window panes.I told him it was not quite the behaviour we expect from our Australian brothers now, and reminded him about their distant past and was he descended from the Botany bay lot,anyway he felt pretty bad about the whole affair and offered to compensate etc.Told him to repair the damage with my tools and i would not call the redcoats.So hi ho now back in Uk to drying out and repair..Michael.

Now that's what I call a proper result. If only more people had the guts to resolve matters that way. The red coats (blue coats?) option would have simply caused you more grief and you would still be left with the damage to fix yourself.

Good luck with your UK problems.

I arrived in UK (Oxford) on the Friday that the rains hit hardest, it was seriously not funny. I stayed overnight at Abingdon and mid evening the fire brigade called Dalton Barracks (Army) to warn of assistance being required, there were NO TROOPS available due to deployment in Iraq / Afghanistan. There were even no troops available in barracks to help the army families who had married quarters flooded.

My SIL who was Orderly Sgt that night was obviously run off his feet trying to find bodies to assist the families. As it happened, the Fire Service called off the request at about MN.

Where the troops used in Gloucester / Worcester etc came from is anyones guess.

Thats the state of the "Home Army" at the moment.

I was surprised to see the army so much in evidence in Tewkesbury and around Gloucester, driving water tankers and dishing out bottles of water. (Bit easier than life in Iraq or Afghanistan.) I still wonder just how much the GCHQ factor influenced things around here.

By contrast, the Severn Trent vans, emblazoned with their logo "Your Water - Safe in our hands" seemed to have taken cover.