RIP Camden market

Pads

A sad sad day for North London , one of my favorite place turned to ashes last night , What a crying shame.

My husband and I spend many happy sundays wandering around this fantasic market in the early years of our marriage , buying bits and piece's for our home , it will always have a speacial place in my heart.

Im sure it will be rebuilt , but it will never be the same.

Sad Sad day ........................[:(]   

It's the current ethos of greed over culture and eccentricity.

The City of London which I knew doesn't exists anymore just endless concrete megaliths on the one side and grandiose and styleless developments on the other, replete with souless bars in which pinstriped oiks swig beer from the bottle....................

The wonderful old Victorian pubs, with endless mahogany, acid etched glass panels and total atmosphere are gone: more's the pity. As are most of the wonderful old buildings full of character. Why on earth Plantation House (Between Fenchuurch Street and Upper Thames Street), a tribute to design and commercial lifestyle was allowed to be demolished I know not.

Thank goodness places like Luxembourg City and Edinburgh insisted the financial industry should build their monstrosities outside the original centres!

[quote user="Pads"]

Im sure it will be rebuilt , but it will never be the same.

Sad Sad day ........................[:(]   

[/quote]

Doubtless Pepys and his cronies shed similar tears in 1666 - as did Wren until he realised the money making opportunities that awaited him. One man's meat and all that.

I have not seen the news today so no idea whether any homes have gone or is it just biz premises ?

John

Thanks for the link, Clair.

Goodness, how sad... all "my" area, Chalk Farm road, etc. this is a big part of my past gone up in smoke! (70s for me Twinkle, not 80s, you are obviously younger than me[:)]) I had friends who were stall-holders during that era.... The Black Cap, indeed, I remember, although not Regina Fong....

The area was threatened with significant redevelopment prior to any fire.

http://www.zyra.org.uk/camthrt.htm

Perhaps the old "Torch" job has been employed to avoid the long-winded planning and appeals process?

Or perhaps I'm simply cynical: that said, destroying heritage buildings in various ways has often been employed to avoid due processes when lots of dosh is on the cards.................

[quote user="5-element"]

(70s for me Twinkle, not 80s, you are obviously younger than me[:)]) I had friends who were stall-holders during that era.... The Black Cap, indeed, I remember, although not Regina Fong....

[/quote]

Here she/he is - her/his show was amazing it used to be on a Wednesday or Thursday night I think.

http://www.theblackcap.com/html/regina_fong.htm

Just had a call from a personal contact[;-)], ringing from his mobile while walking along Camden High Street, who says that Camden Lock has not been affected. The fire was on the side of (ex) Compendium bookshop. So perhaps the market will just go on?

Twinkle, thanks for Regina. Didn't remember her, but remember the Disapointer Sisters.[:D]

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

I worked at TV-AM in Camden in the '80s and used to hang out there a lot too[:(] I would spend all my wages in that market on the Friday!

Who remembers Regina Fong at the 'Black Cap' club?  The safest night club a girl could wish for?[:)]

[/quote]

Hey twinks I use to work in an office in 81 /82 next to the TV_ am place and I too spent all my wages in the market on friday on wacky clothes, how many times do you think we passed each other ?[:-))]  In fact I still have a pair of dungarees made from lots of pieces of different material which dont fit me any more but I just cant throw them away, and I got my first pair of hand painted doc martens there . They were the days [:)] 

I didn't leave school until '83 so we missed each other! 

I was working there in '88 when the picketing was going on.  Quite a scary thing happened to me while I was waiting to catch the bus home one evening - a picketer had followed me and inslulted me at the bus stop.  I was only there as a temp to one of the producers and I didn't feel their dispute had anything to do with me. It was so humiliating and I reported it to my boss - from then on I had a driver come to pick me up and take me home everyday. 

The decadent '80's huh?

Ah Twinkle you missed the good old  days when you could get chocolate hash brownies for sale on the first ever organic veggie stall I'd ever seen ( didnt even know what organic meant then[8-)]) from a loverly gentle young woman who use to have about 6 old dogs asleep on old blankets under her stall,(no health and safty around then.) and had hair down to her knees and wore clothes in an amazing way she use to look just like a wild fairy, I use to go and get my morning coffee and cookies from her just so I could sit and watch her for 5 mins and dream about how free her life looked , one of my fondest memories 

[:)]

I used to get a freshly baked croissant in this little patissier not far from the offices.   I once bought myself this fabulous handknitted mohair coat at the market - it probably cost me a weeks wages.

Did you ever go to Camden Palace on a Saturday night?  Does anyone else have fond memories of Camden Town?

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Did you ever go to Camden Palace on a Saturday night?  Does anyone else have fond memories of Camden Town?

[/quote]

I lived in Chalk Farm for a while....then Kentish Town (North London Poly days....), then Tufnell Park... and avoided Camden Palace on Saturday nights.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

[:)]

[/quote]

I was born and brought (or dragged) up in Somers Town so, remember Camden town very well (still visit occasionally), knew it even before it was "gentrified" had my first stag night in the Camden Palace (think it was called the music machine then???) also had some good nights in Dingwalls and electric ballroom. Used to do a bit of chauffering for TVAM in the 80's, could have driven you at some time.

cheers

pete

[quote user="pistebeast"]

I was born and brought (or dragged) up in Somers Town so,

pete

[/quote]

Pete, you must have known the Camden Town Youth Centre in Somers Town? Late seventies to around mid-eighties?

It was quite famous in Somers Town..... Interesting area in those days.

@5-element

Do you mean the one in the old sir william collins school - yes I remember it, also knew some of the people that worked there. I had a shop in Phoenix Rd at the time, Certainly was interesting times - I could write a book on it, but then i'd have to disappear for ever [;-)] although some of the recent fictional films and tv programmes are showing quite a few of the stories so, someones talking[:D]

cheers

pete

[quote user="5-element"][quote user="pistebeast"]

I was born and brought (or dragged) up in Somers Town so,

pete

[/quote]

Pete, you must have known the Camden Town Youth Centre in Somers Town? Late seventies to around mid-eighties?

It was quite famous in Somers Town..... Interesting area in those days.

[/quote]

Somers Town, now that was a tough area in my youth[:-))] I liked the camden palace on saturday nights..........take that john, [:D]

RH - I liked the statement in your linked story "drivers know to drive straight through the middle"

One didn't [;-)]

I remember Camden from years back - we used to go through there regularly by boat before it became trendy. I fell in once, near Islington Lock, it was surprisingly deep. Later I used to go to Camden Town by underground or bus frequently, to meetings at the Inland Waterways Association down Regents Park Road and at Cecil Sharp House. I remember the Roundhouse, too.