If the UK is broke?

Gastines

If everyone in UK is now "supposedly" struggling to make ends meet,how come tens of thousands can afford to go to Moscow to watch a football match?

The same applies to The Chelsea Flower Show, a "garden" was featured on TV last night at the building cost of £80k. not even a house with it?

Regards.

I guess with the football its a question of priorities and possibly belonging to supporters clubs etc who get a 'deal'. As for Chelsea, they are like huge advertisements for who ever is sponsoring them, used as a corporate perk etc.

I don't think anyone is 'supposed' to be inspired to copy them wholesale, rather take key elements or a core theme - just watch those 'cloud' hornbeam's pop up at your local garden centre in a few months.

Believe me, attendance at any garden event will soon show how much 'spending' money there really is circulating........

It's a question of priorities, I guess.  I'm not exactly flush at the moment myself, but nothing short of death would prevent me from going to Le Mans in June (not that's it's exactly far away now, but it was once!)  No matter how short of money you are there are just certain things which you determindly never go without.  I don't understand what would persuade anybody to go to a footie match, of course, but each to their own.

I'm with you there, Coops.  There are some things in life that you would sell your grandmother for.

I remember we were in Rome a few years ago and Tosca was on at the opera house.  So, what did I do?  Couldn't be in Rome with Tosca on and not go, could I?

So, I went on the internet and booked 2 seats in a box.  As I remember it, the cost amounted to what would have fed a family of 4 for a fortnight, but what did I care?

Looking back, it's just as well I threw cautionsto the winds.  Nowadays we have a dog that the OH would not dream of leaving for so much as half a day and any trips anywhere like that would be out of the question.

Not only that, with the exchange rate what it is today, the cost of those tickets would probably feed a family of 4 for a whole month![:)]

[quote user="Baz"][quote user="Gastines"]

If everyone in UK is now "supposedly" struggling to make ends meet.................[/quote]

Who says so? I would believe everything you hear or read.

Baz

[/quote]Indeed, I reckon the media (in it various forms) has much to be blamed for in making more of the supposed crisis than is really so.  Talk about talking up a problem!  Oxford Street seems just as busy as ever!

[quote user="Gastines"]

If everyone in UK is now "supposedly" struggling to make ends meet,how come tens of thousands can afford to go to Moscow to watch a football match?

The same applies to The Chelsea Flower Show, a "garden" was featured on TV last night at the building cost of £80k. not even a house with it?

Regards.

[/quote]

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Nero? Fiddle? Rome?

We have been inspired by Chelsea,flower show that is not footie club, but the Budget was somewhat less. 15 wheelbarrow loads of old Granite blocks,large oak barrel,courtesy of neighbour.FREE but 2 bottles of Suze. Several barrows of soil from field, various plants from other parts of field and garden .26 euros of plants from St.Malo flower/plant show at the weekend. 2 Days backbreaking work. Result ,nice rockery with 2 small ponds,one shallow,one deep,  from the large barrel. Filled courtesy of rainwater tubs, lillies from old pond. New home for our Newts, plus ragged corner now looking quite good.-

However, when I occasionally,very occasionally watch football, it inspires me to join acting classes!!To each his own.

Regards.

The price of things these days is absolutely ridiculous...........

Take diesel for example. I am seriously going to have to ecconomise. From now on I am going to walk to the shops each day, for my eighty fags and six pack of strong lager...........

At least the walk will keep me in good health. 

In the spirit of true recycling style we have been using some of our "mountain" to build other things,(it is the remnants of an old barn & outbuildings), to do other jobs about the place.

400 old bricks have made a lovely path along the front of the house, bits of rubble and concrete became the footings for the extension,  then various chunky bits of rock have gone into creating the lower wall along with more bricks to match the house itself.   The heap has also provided enough sandstone and granite chunks to make a sturdy goat house, a low drystone wall about 60 feet long to delineate what will be the terrace area and also the rubbishy stuff our neighbour is dumping into the potholes and craters in his garden.   Mind you, we probably still have enough decent stuff left to rebuild the barn we have permission for................ and some besides.

When I think back to paying twenty five pounds for two rocks for my Japanese garden in UK, well I must be a Rock Millionaire here.