Livret A

CeeJay

Excuse my ignorance but I am not sure how to top up a Livret A.

I had the maximum saved but recently had to withdraw 2000 Euros, I now find myself in a position to pay that amount back but cannot decide if that amount has to include any interest accrued this year so not taking it over the maximum.

You are allowed to exceed the limit by accruing interest, but if you then withdraw money you can only replace it if (a) the account total is below the limit, and (b) the amount you add does not take the total over the limit.

Is the interest rate worse than UK accounts? I had a bit in an ISA and left it there when I moved to France. I realise there is no point in keeping it and the interest is currently 0.25%. I was thinking of starting a Livret A as it's interest free and you don't even have to declare it on the French tax return, which would simplify things.

Hi,

A good online french life assurance acc. using the guaranteed euro fund (linxea, fortuneo etc for example) can be used as a savings account (there are no entry or withdrawal fees and 100% safe ), see here for performances;

http://www.cbanque.com/placement/assurance-vie-palmares.php

tax treatment is increasingly favourable with length of time acc. is open, and only the interest fraction of withdrawal is subject to tax and contributions.

Parsnips, am I right in saying that French life insurance can be free of inheritance tax if a child or children are named as the inheritors when it is opened?

The last Hollande government made certain changes to the conditions which raised quite a stink; basically they can now control the interest rate and encashment in moments of national crise ( define crise, svp!)