Utter Chaos

powerdesal

I am trapped in the kitchen with the lap top as a team of packers 'do' the house. All I hear is the ripping of packing tape. There are boxes everywhere, rolls of bubble wrap, BIG rolls of packing card, stacks of yet-to-be-unfolded boxes, if I sit still for too long I will be wrapped, taped and boxed myself.

Only two more days of this chaos (maybe).Then the container 'stuffing' - what joy this moving lark is.

There's no point in being too ruthless, I'm paying for a 40 ft container anyway so all the ' it might come in useful one day' stuff doesn't need to be binned, at least not until its unpacked and I get the 'why on earth did you pack that' questions.

When we moved OH cooked a bowl of fish to be given to our cat at the new house to persuade her that the move might be OK. Trouble was OH left packing the kitchen to the removal team and it was several days until it became apparent which was the lucky tea chest.

[quote user="woolybananasbrother"]Yep, I've done it 35 times. Some on here have done it much more.[/quote]

I seem to remember posting some time ago that we were up to 25 houses, 5 countries and 3 continents.   It doesn't get any easier or any more fun.

[quote user="powerdesal"]I seem to remember posting some time ago that we were up to 25 houses, 5 countries and 3 continents.   It doesn't get any easier or any more fun.[/quote]

No, but it's nice when Pusser pays ! ! ! [:D]

I wish [:(]

This one is down to me at c. 6500 Euro-shekels, assuming French customs dont find any reason to add to the cost.

The guys have gone for the day with the first load of 72 boxes / items / pieces of furniture, back tomorrow to do it all again. Its really strange being in half empty house, at least the cat is in the cattery and not freaking out.

This move is definitely the last..........(until the next one [:P])

Steve, I feel a real novice at this lark.  Only 22 houses and 3 countries.

The last move is always the worst.  At least our last one here to France takes some beating in the horror stakes.

What only 72 boxes, you obviously haven't been ruthless enought.  Are you counting the contents of your cellar or not?

All the very best, Steve.  Just sit back and let the paid helpers do it all.  Alas, I couldn't do that with the last move.  Just too much sorting out and chucking out to do as we had to store for 6 weeks until I could finish the redecorating in the French house.

Do you ask yourself why we subject ourselves to this torture?  I reckon I have a mashochistic streak that will not let me enjoy any peace and quiet.

Already looking for my next house.  How nuts is that? 

[quote user="sweet 17"]Don't forget, Steve, that all this is as nothing compared to the unpacking...............[/quote]

The shipping contract states that they will unpack all items, place them in the appropriate rooms, and remove the packing material.

I'm not holding my breath for that.

All finished. A total of 237 packages.

Its a weird feeling being in a totally empty house that we have lived in for the last 14 years. I have never lived anywhere that long before.

Just the phone to cancel and the keys to return and thats it, the end of an era.

What naffs me right off are the people who hover around, knowing you are moving, discreertly or less discreetly asking for stuff, regardless of its potential value oe importance. Last time I moved, my neighbours (Brit and French) were round like flies on a **** and seemed quite put out that i wasn't about to give them my new brushcutter, circular saw, workbench and other tools. Other bits they asked for were the (gas) barbie, chairs and tables. One even had his eyes on my Nilfisk.

[quote user="dave21478"]

I gave away, sold or dumped pretty much everything I owned for the last move.

Very liberating actually. [/quote]

Ditto here. It was certainly a liberating experience especially when I used my OH's electric saw - not sure what type it was - to cut up an old fabric-covered bed base on our front lawn. I needed it in small enough pieces to be able to take it to the dump in my small car.

Those were the days - summer 2004!

Sue [:)]

[quote user="Callie"][quote user="sweet 17"]Don't forget, Steve, that all this is as nothing compared to the unpacking...............[/quote]

Own up - how many people still have stuff in boxes five years later??????[;-)]
[/quote]

huhum... still have a couple of boxes from 3 houses ago or about 12 years ago... there just never seems to be anywhere to put the stuff inside but I know that I'll want it one day...[:$] [:)]

I've often considered being packed and moved and then unpacked the other end... can't wait to here how you get on!!! [:D] not that I'm planning to move anytime soon! [:$]