End of the World or not?

TWINKLE

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was interested in the suggestion contained in the original article that a slow but inevitable death is preferable to everyone simultaneously vanishing in an instant.

I know which I would prefer.

Of course, if this doesn't get us, there are any number of alternatives that will, what with the proliferation of nuclear reactors for energy, invisible (to us) meteors and asteroids heading our way, the Old Faithful Geyser (or some volcano) blowing up so spectacularly that the debris will blot out the sun for a millennium or so, the Ruskies finally pressing the button....  And to cap it all, it's going to rain all this week-end.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Cat - I don't believe you[:)]

[/quote]

Well you should Twinks, cos every word is true!  Bruv is a nuclear physicist, and he works at CERN, which is the Organisation Européenne pour la Recherche Nucléaire.  And I do owe him 50€ [:)]

[quote user="Cat"][quote user="TWINKLE"]

Cat - I don't believe you[:)]

[/quote]

Well you should Twinks, cos every word is true!  Bruv is a nuclear physicist, and he works at CERN, which is the Organisation Européenne pour la Recherche Nucléaire.  And I do owe him 50€ [:)]

[/quote]

I believe all that - but I don't believe that he won't click the button because of 50euros[:)]

The lunatic fringe has been making up ludicrous stories like this from time immemorial, except their targets have varied over the years, including the LHC's predecessors and just about anything related to nuclear power. The only problem is that these days the Internet gives them a wide audience and "credibility" (I read it on the Internet so it MUST be true) and enables them to find other like-minded people to encourage them and reinforce their groupthink. Once upon a time they would have been isolated and therefore much less likely to find people to join their gang. Now, the Internet gives them a platform for their views: throw in media searching for an exciting (for which please read sensationalist) and easily understood angle to the story and voila! - you have created a monster devouring all sensible consideration and replacing it with the inky blackness of superstition, fear and dread.

“Scientist turns on new experiment: nobody dies” does NOT make a good headline …

Twinkle, the only effect that this experiment will have on your life is to provide you with some extra knowledge .... eventually.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Pickles"]The lunatic fringe has been making up ludicrous stories like this from time immemorial, except their targets have varied over the years, including the LHC's predecessors and just about anything related to nuclear power.

[/quote]

Well, lets hope you're right on this occasion Pickles. I just wish I had your in-depth technical knowledge on this subject.

Nuclear scientists, for example, are always going on about the safety of nuclear power stations, but I think Chernoble and Three Mile Island tend to pose a question or two.

Trust the word of a group of scientists messing about with the unknown, I think I'd rather trust a labour politician.......[:)]

I don't like the way the system decided to pass comment on my statement in a rather cryptic manner ... "false false false" eh? Now THERE's a conspiracy if ever I saw one ... and as for "Normal 0" .... I don't like the implication there ONE LITTLE BIT ...

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Pickles"]

[/quote]

I think i will hold back on paying the tax bill. I wonder if my all risks insurance will cover the events detailed. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind you on the other hand it is hoped that the experiment will prove the string theory in that when the weigh the mass of the objects after the collision to that of what it was before, if it weighs less then the difference will have gone into another dimension. latest theory is that we have 11 dimensions. !!!

ams

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Well, lets hope you're right on this occasion Pickles. I just wish I had your in-depth technical knowledge on this subject.

Nuclear scientists, for example, are always going on about the safety of nuclear power stations, but I think Chernoble and Three Mile Island tend to pose a question or two.

Trust the word of a group of scientists messing about with the unknown, I think I'd rather trust a labour politician.......[:)]

[/quote]

Be fair now - Chernobyl and Three Mile Island were caused by engineers screwing up, not scientists. Wouldn't be so bad, but in both cases they were only on site to mend the photocopier and they got carried away. True that. Heard it off a bloke down the pub.

I've just watched it. One of the scientists when asked about those who have predicted that this could be a disaster said " No, I'm fairly sure that won't happen".............[:-))]

I'm fairly sure they have no bloody idea what they are messing with.........................[:@]

[quote user="Pickles"] The only problem is that these days the Internet gives them a wide audience and "credibility" (I read it on the Internet so it MUST be true) and enables them to find other like-minded people to encourage them and reinforce their groupthink. 

[/quote]

You are getting a bit confused now given the above statement now followed by an article from the internet, and one from the very group of people who are playing with this thing.

[8-)]