What to do with vile neighbours?

OMG

We have recently been "blessed" with a very attractive social housing bungalow opposite our drive (probably over 100m from the house itself).  Since they have moved in these new neighbours have been hell on earth.  Unfortunately we are on the outskirts of the village and no one else is being "entertained" by them.

The guy appears to work 3 days per week.  For the rest of the time he plays music or has the TV on as loud as he possibly can with all the doors and windows open.  Or plays the guitar himself (which he isn't very good at) - ditto the harmonica.  Requests for him to turn it down have been met with an increase in  the volume and a response which I'm not sure of in translation but can imagine the general meaning.  They have a beautiful back garden with glorious views but they sit on the front tarmac area and seem to spend their time screeching at each other and their small child.  It seems they cannot arrive at or leave the house without sustained blowing of the car horn. They have 5 cats who appear to be starving and spend most of their time trying to get in at our cat's food.  They have a dog which is permanently outside and is either mooching around the village or barking. I have found him in garden several times too.  He seems a nice enough dog but if I wanted one I would get one of my own.

This is obviously going to be very difficult to sort out and I don't want it to be more confrontational than it has already become.  We are NOT being over-fussy but this was a very quiet hamlet until this bunch appeared and there is another house next door to theirs which is still unoccupied.  They will either be worse or driven as crazy as we are being at the moment.  Short of building a VERY high wall at the end of our garden and relocating the drive does anyone have any suggestions please?

Have a word with the Mairie. If you have a problem like this, it is important to make it known, particularly as it could escalate. These people may have caused trouble in the past.

Take a couple of photographs. When you speak to the Mairie, invite someone to come over and listen to the noise, preferably just after you have asked your neighbour to turn the volume down ! !

Noise is a nuisance and there are noise limits !

By the way, if the Mairie will not respond, you can make a complaint at the Gendarmerie. They will be obliged to note your problem.

Don't be driven away by these people - and don't let it drag on. I know it isn't easy confronting this sort of situation, but they will make your life a misery if you don't.

Good luck !

It all sounds very familiar and dare I say normal to me, I am speaking about my area of course which is rather shall we say "extra" [6]

The tooting of car horns and general loud shouting of drunken goodbyes has been turned into an art form, the later it is in the morning the longer and louder it must be done to make as many people as possible aware that you have been nombreuse and having a good fête. The Johny no mates do it all on their own so as not to feel left out.

There is also a perpetual competition for how many neglected and mangy dogs, cats etc you can claim ownership to without actually feeding or caring for in any way shape or form, judging is usually done in the owners long absence during les vacances when all his/her menagerie can be seen waiting forlornly at the front door.

I actually feel sorry for the new arrivals because if their opposite neighbour is over 100 meters they are now playing to a diminished and remote audience, clearly they are being punished [:D]

Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis or in my case "Picaaards"

The mayor can only go and have a word about the dog being in your garden. As to the noise I don't really know. The only thing you can do something about is the dog in the garden but it does mean you must go to the Gendarmes and make a formal complaint which they will try and talk you out of but you can do it.

The thing is this sort of thing does happen, although not that often, in the country and is not just restricted to France.

Good luck.

Thanks for your suggestions.  I'm hoping the new neighbours will be a little better and might tackle them themselves.  It will be hell on earth for them - far worse than for us. 

In the meantime we are planning on selling up and going back to our house in the UK.  This is the final straw for us, dream move it has certainly not been!

Woody 234 - is that post supposed to be humorous in some way?

A few years back in UK, I lived in a flat and some students moved in across the hallway. They partied all night, playing the same rubbish music over and over at high volume. Sleep was impossible. Despite being "students", attending lectures seemed a low priority for them. they partied all night and slept all day. Requests to keep the noise down were ignored or met with giggled apologies, only for it to continue as normal soon afterwards.

I kicked their door in one evening, smashed their hifi with a golf club and gave them both a damn good beating......well......thats what I did in my mind. In reality I tried to put up with it, but couldnt. Then decided to give them a taste of their own medicine. As I left for work, I turned my hifi speakers towards their flat, turned it up to 11, and put Jaff Waynes War of the Worlds musical on repeat play. I did this every day for a week (none of the other occupants of the building were in during the day).

Not a peep out of them for over a month.

Every time they started reverting to their old ways, a quick blast at 7.30am put them right.

[:D]

member "omg" wat area in france do you live, or is it a secret, i live in the charente and my neighbours are nice, they fly in for  6 weeks in the summer, cut the grass   then fly back to there mansion in surrey, they are thinking of selling their 109 and getting a cessna to save on fuel bills but they have to build a new runway first

That sounds like a good idea Dave.  His music of choice is delta blues, perhaps he would like some nice Iron Maiden?

New neighbours moving in today (the originals have been away for two days so far, leaving their cats with nothing to eat.)  Should be interesting when they come back tomorrow night.

Woody, presumably you are the forum wag?  Glad you have nice neighbours.  I don't. 

Don't get me wrong - I love delta blues ( Mississippi John Hurt anyone?)  I would just like to listen to it in my own time.  And a badly played harmonica is an instrument of extreme torture I can assure you!

They have now been gone for three days and I have been feeding their 5 cats by putting a container of biscuits on the drive yesterday and today.  Otherwise they would not have eaten since Thursday.  No signs of the dog so hopefully he has been farmed out somewhere.  New neighbours are in, and other than an apparent banshee of a woman, seem OK.  It will be interesting to see what happens when they reappear, sparks might fly!

We are having the estate agents in on Monday for a valuation, together with a guy for a quote for a very high wall and even higher gates so we shall make a decision about which way to jump soon.

OMG?  I like Oh My God, unfortunately the reason for the name is much more boring - it was a nickname as a child as I always wanted One More Go at the local swings.

The OP comes across as a bit of a snob to me.

Looking down her/his nose at the neighbours.  

Comments such as     We have recently been "blessed" with a very attractive social housing bungalow opposite our drive

or

New neighbours are in, and other than an apparent banshee of a woman, seem OK. 

and then has a go at poor woody

Woody 234 - is that post supposed to be humorous in some way?

Sorry but these comments do not endear you to me

Bet they are just an ordinary French family who are trying to get on with their lifes.

We have wonderful neighbours in France.  But really you do not know what it is like when you have bad neighbours who are a constant noise nuisance, it can quite literally drive you insane.  There are many cases where neighbours have killed each other, surely that says something about how it affects people.  If you have NEVER suffered with bad neighbours, count yourself very lucky. It can happen anywhere.

Georgina

Thanks to forum members for the useful ideas.  I will take on board the various suggestions and decide what is best for us to do in the circumstances.  I will also now resign my membership of the forum for the following reason.

It amazes me that there are so many people with so little to occupy themsleves that they have to sit at their computers and make totally inappropriate comments and decide I am snob etc.  You know nothing about me and you obviously do not have the problems we currently have.  Were you the school bullies or is it only behind the anonymity of your keyboard that you are so brave and have so much to say?  You can also apparently not contribute anything constructive.  I certainly did not "have a go" at "poor" woody - he felt obliged to make a fatuous comment or two. To quote my son - "Get a life!"

Hey, OMG, most of us aren't like that ! We are here to share ideas, a joke and help when we can. Those who give snide, unhelpful or rude comments are known by most of us and should be ignored as if they haven't written their posting!

There is never an excuse for bad manners - not even freedopm of speech ! If someone feels they have to be rude to a poster, perhaps they should think again whether in fact they should be contributing to the thread !

Now I'll stand back and wait for the flak.......

OMG - I am sorry you feel you have to leave the forum after some comments have been passed that you object too. Providing people stay withing the Code of Conduct they do have the right to express themselves and whether we like or agree with what they have said is a different matter. I thought the rest of the posts were pretty good and informative, but then thats me based on what you put in your original post.

The thing is we often, as individuals, see something from a particular point of view and expect everyone to agree with it. Unfortunately life is not like that. I can't condone 'Boiling a Frog' for what he/she wrote because they see it from a totally different perspective which I, and I guess others, had not thought of, even when in your situation it may be incorrect. Having said that going with the overall response to your question I am more inclined to think that majority wins.

Basically don't take one, out of many,  persons comments to heart

Hope you will come back and see us some time.

Back to the original post, the writer was concerned about the noise emanating from his neighbours using their front garden rather than using their back garden as he/she would prefer.

Given that the property is over 100m away and assuming that the OP relaxes in their rear garden as they wish their neighbours to do then that is a very very long distance for noise to travel, pass through or around a building and doubtless some greenery without being attenuated massively.

I suspect the actual level of noise disturbance experienced in Db is well below any reasonable limit.

Or maybe I am feeding a first post troll[8-)]

Perhaps the evil neighbour has to use the front garden/driveway because either the back garden is a mess and they are not gardeners and anyway it is full of stolen cars and cat sh** or, the front garden is the only place they can get a bit of sun. In the former case, perhaps the OP could offer to do up the garden so they would want to go there.

Alternatively, let us accept that the Marie has moved undesirable, underclass people into a nice area which should, as we all know, never happen. They have done this surely because someone on the council wants to get the OP's house cheap and anyway they are just a load of foreigners who don't count anyway[6][6]

I have always found that Leonard Cohen played loud will empty a street in about ten minutes. Or Johnny Halliday, Plastic Bertrand