Anyone else had trouble with the UK State Pension Service

JohnRoss

Praise due to the pensions office very quick and efficient.

The number in my previous post is for people living in the UK.........sorry.

After phoning it 2 weeks ago I realized my mistake and decided to fill in the application on line (dont they ask a lot of questions ?)

Anyway today the paper work arrived detailing how much and when and also without asking the E121.........yippee

Good luck to anyone still waiting.

Thanks krusty and I was still waiting up until yesterday when I got a message on the FT answer phone saying that the pension would be paid soon into my UK bank as requested back in February of this year and that I should get the paperwork in the post soon also. Now I had telephoned them the day before and had a polite rant so maybe that had something to do with it! I still think that my treatment and that of others is somewhat shoddy and Gawd help anyone who is relying on getting their UK state pension promptly to live over here or indeed in the UK or anywhere else. I am not counting my chickens until I can see the colour of the money and then we start the hassle with the French tax people and HMRC and then the E121 and the CPAM...........................................JR 

SD - The piece you lifted from the Pensions website about claiming over the phone..... Well I tried that last week and was told they no longer accept details over the phone, the form has to be filled in and posted off to Fitzroy House... When I asked why the on-line help facilities were not up to to date, I got a very frosty "Nothing to do with this departement" answer. [8-)]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

. . . complete with original of her birth certificate (fingers crossed and since returned OK).

[/quote]

If anyone is worried about sending an original birth certificate, you can always get another one from the GRO

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/faqs-birth-death-marr.asp

It only costs between £7 & £10 and they post to France at no extra cost. 

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

. . . complete with original of her birth certificate (fingers crossed and since returned OK).

[/quote]

If anyone is worried about sending an original birth certificate, you can always get another one from the GRO

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/faqs-birth-death-marr.asp

It only costs between £7 & £10 and they post to France at no extra cost. 

[quote user="Nell"]SD - The piece you lifted from the Pensions website about claiming over the phone..... Well I tried that last week and was told they no longer accept details over the phone, the form has to be filled in and posted off to Fitzroy House... When I asked why the on-line help facilities were not up to to date, I got a very frosty "Nothing to do with this departement" answer. [8-)][/quote]

They accepted OHs application over the phone when I made a fuss 10 days ago.

Because she is hard of hearing I have to do the phoning for her, but of course they wanted to speak to her personally, and I am in Germany and she is not.  I do understand tand accept his security aspect.

Cutting to the chase, rang on Saturday morning (they do work then so 1 plus point against the myriad of negatives).  Sorry we don't do phone applications for international calls any more.  I just about exploded at this point, having had the fiasco going on for 3 months now and still not able to apply even though mid week I had been told to ring at the weekend to apply.  Anyway she spoke to a supervisor and it was agreed to proceed (second plus point).

So it seems if you stand your ground they will accept phone applications.

Current score:

2 plus points for the Welsh office

-200 points for the Scottish office, who promised to send an application form and instead sent a winter fuel allowance form.

-50000000 points for the international office - who amongst other crimes of ommision and incompetence  are still sending mail to an address that every office including their own no longer has as the valid address some 12 months after they were informed of the move.  And then complain that they have not received a reply.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="Patf"]

The number we were given to phone is 0044 191 21 87777

[/quote]

I phoned this number three weeks ago to request my claim pack as it hadn't been sent out.  Could you tell me how long yours took to arrive after your initial request. Thanks, Kate.

When I phoned to ask why I hadn't received the pack, I was told I'd have to wait a month for a reply.  In fact, I think the pack took 5 to 6 weeks.

BTW, do you have to fill in details of ALL your previous employers, with dates?  I don't think my memory stretches that far back as my first job was way back in 1967 and I've had several employers since then..........

Thanks for the reply sweet 17.  In fact the claim form arrived this morning (IPCBR1 01/09) together with form IPC 1394 France 05/08 - International Pensions Direct Payment. Like you I have found it impossible to be accurate about past employment. I have entered details of my last two employers only as I know that they already have my up-to-date NI record from when I requested a pension forecast last year. Although I asked about the E121 when I phoned for the pack there wasn't an application form enclosed but hopefully from reading previous postings this might be generated automatically when I return the completed form.  Good luck with yours, regards Kate.

I'm pleased for you to have received your pack, Kate.

Me, I'm allergic to form-filling.  But I have promised myself that I will fill in a page a day until it's all done and I have signed and dated it and sent it back in its envelope.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

BTW, do you have to fill in details of ALL your previous employers, with dates?  I don't think my memory stretches that far back as my first job was way back in 1967 and I've had several employers since then..........

[/quote]

Several?  I have had loads (25 I think at the last count...) but since I have them recorded on my (now not required) CV, I can reproduce it for them if they really want it.   It may be something to do with the contributions record, possibly, but I know mine is OK as I got a BR19 last year, so I may not bother - or just say, can be provided if req'd .....

I've just emailed to see why my form to claim it has not yet arrived .....  the fun starts now, I suspect.

Thank you, Judith.  I shall fill in my last employer, other main employers (that is places where I have stayed for more than a few months) and, as you have suggested, say details are available if required.

Problem is also that I have worked for several Health Authorities and goodness only knows how many changes of names they have had with all the different reorganisations over the years. 

Don't forget that HMRC may take tax off any other income source when you get your pension or they did in my case even before I got it! Also don't assume because they don't take tax off other income sources in the UK and  knowing you are resident in France, they will accept your pension should also be tax free. They didn't in my case and I am still waiting for the tax back. The annoying thing is that when the better half did it a year or so ago she did not have all this hassle..........................JR

PS I hope you have better luck than me!

JR, have all that same hassle as you do.  After more than 2 years' tax residency in France, we await clarification of our tax status from the UK.

OH still having his annuities taxed in both UK and France, not to mention our bank interest (such as it is nowadays) also being taxed in both countries.

Won't know what to do with the money as and when it does eventually get credited back to us.  Rather got used to the belt-tightening by now [;-)]