bad taste in my mouth

just john

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not?  but perhaps because it is progress, like Russia falteringly changing to join other market economies; the movement already exists from within, the public demonstration of this in Tiananmen Square. The whole model of China is changing, more people are educated to chase the capitalist model and are able to see other models and freedoms in their world markets,. . .

Human rights don't really exist is China- and executions there are not uncommon.

I have no strong feelings about the drug runners's fate, but countries like China do make it clear what the penalty would be if caught.  And I am tired of hearing about all these modern-day 'syndromes' used purely as an excuse after someone has commited a crime.

BUT, I wonder why no protests etc at the fate of the peaceful dissident  Liu Xiaobo who got 11 years for campaigning for political liberty.

And, little done to help Tibet whose recognition of independence by NuLab  has now been cancelled in late 2008,  in exchange for China's support in funding the IMF  - shameful!

It seems that might is right - a little country like Rhodesia can have  British warships stationed off Mozambique to prevent oil getting into the country,  but China can do absolutely anything and get away with it.

An example of 'Brittania waives the rules' !

tegwini

tegwini wrote: "a little country like Rhodesia can have  British warships stationed off Mozambique to prevent oil getting into the country,  but China can do absolutely anything and get away with it. "

Funny that, but I don't see many British warships lining up against Mugabe.

[quote user="NickP"]

tegwini wrote: "a little country like Rhodesia can have  British warships stationed off Mozambique to prevent oil getting into the country,  but China can do absolutely anything and get away with it. "

Funny that, but I don't see many British warships lining up against Mugabe.

[/quote]

Quite ...

Ok for Mugabe - endless excuses why he can't be 'slotted',  removed,  whatever ...

The West wanted democracy and got Mugabe and a vibrant and relatively rich country is bankrupted.  Or as Ian Smith said about democracy in Africa - one man one vote, once.

The Foreign Office knew better - or did it ?

Brittania yet again waives the rules ...

Tegwini