hair question for any hairdressers out there

valB

I have just applied a permanant hair colour to my hair and I hate it. My own fault as I bought a cheaper one in UK instead of my usual one, pennny pinching. My question is how quickly can I apply a another one bearing in mind it is a permanant colour and I do not want my hair to fall out. Please say soon as I cannot stand this colour and it did not even cover my grey bits  YUK   [:(]

Could you say whats wrong with it - for example too dark, to red, too blode, wrong shade, what colour you are working with etc.

Just a little off topic: The other day I was mentioning that my roots need doing, the person that I was talking to expressed surprise that it wasn't my natural colour - great you may think, except that the person I was talking to was my mother !!! [8-)]

It should have been very light brown and claims to blend in any grey. It has not touched the grey bits at all and it has made the rest of  my hair far too light. It is bearable but I want to dye it again so that I get an overall colour.

I'm NOT a hairdresser but I would: live with it for a week and wash  hair every day or two using lots of conditioner or 'hot oil' type treatments (but not for a couple of days prior to applying new colour or it won't take) - do a patch & strand  test with your usual product and then proceed as normal but be prepared to condition thoroughly on a regular basis.

I have done something similar when I went far too light, I acutually  changed it  the next day, bought an ashy brown with no sign of red (red tones can be tricky) and just went over it - no harm done, but on your own head be it, literally ![8-)]

The patch/strand test is important in this situation

Thanks Russethouse. I will wait a while before I attempt another dye.  I knew this would be the afternoons entertainment and it is OK for all you blokes out there. You don't have to worry about this sort of thing or do you and you just don't admit to colouring your hair..mmmmm   [:D] [:D]

[quote user="valB"]I knew this would be the afternoons entertainment and it is OK for all you blokes out there. You don't have to worry about this sort of thing or do you and you just don't admit to colouring your hair..mmmmm   [:D] [:D]

[/quote]

This little true story might cheer you up Val.

I'm happy to admit to trying Just for Men once, if only in the hope that it will dissuade others thinking of doing it.

I have a full head of hair that has been grey for many years. When that 'stuff' came out I decided to try it. Asked Mrs B to get me some but unbeknown to me she bought Jet Black [:-))] (well, who reads labels). Put it on and in five minutes I was doing a perfect impression of a man with a cat sitting on his head.

Panic set in quickly followed by wash, wash, wash, then [:-))], it had turned Purple.

I rang my sister, who is, or was, a hairdresser and asked to get over to me and cut this lot off. Well, with it all cut off to stubble (No1) it honestly looked like the shape of my hair had been tattooed onto my head. [:D]

Valuable Lesson Learned.

Gary.

Have asked OH who used to work in a hairdresser's supply shop and there are products which will strip previously applied colour out so you can start again.  Sorry but don't know what the brand name is and it might only be available via professional outlets but such stuff exists.

As I am follicaly challanged (well not so much challenged as given up) I was going to have rabbits tattooed all over my head..........

cuz from a distance they look like hares [:P]

Makes me glad I've never bothered with colouring my hair!  Fortunately it's only now showing grey at the edges (I was a brown with (natural) red highlights - recently I said to a friend - I need to do something with my hair -meaning - get it cut -  and she replied - yes, it's time to have it have it coloured again.  When I said it was all natural, she could not believe it was not coloured to hide the grey (and which she thought was growing out).  I'll live with what colour I've got, thank you!  Much easier and simpler (and cheaper!!).

A few centuries ago my hair was  natural black and very long like Cher. Now I am going grey I have been using colours that are a good deal lighter and for several years my hair has been mid blonde but the sun over here bleaches it almost white so now I am colouring it a light to mid brown  I am going to do it again over the weekend after washing it numerous times so hopefully I will look as though I have not had a bad hair day. [:D]

[quote user="Judith"]Makes me glad I've never bothered with colouring my hair!  Fortunately it's only now showing grey at the edges (I was a brown with (natural) red highlights - recently I said to a friend - I need to do something with my hair -meaning - get it cut -  and she replied - yes, it's time to have it have it coloured again.  When I said it was all natural, she could not believe it was not coloured to hide the grey (and which she thought was growing out).  I'll live with what colour I've got, thank you!  Much easier and simpler (and cheaper!!).
[/quote]

I find that in general French brunettes keep their natural hair colour for much longer than Anglo-Saxon women and it also seems to be much more luxuriant, how much of this is down to the fact that they do not dye/highlight from an early age it to become anything but brunette incuding pitch black I dont know but I suspect that it plays a part. As I said a genaralisation before anyone takes umbrage.

Anyway girls, what is wrong with the one colour suits all (bright red) colouring that is the norme in France? [6]