UK politicians - Wake up and smell the coffee!

MrCanary

I voted Conservative and I wish they had won a clear majority in Parliament...

Other people voted Labour and would also wish they had won a clear majority...

Others would have wanted the same for Lib/Dem...

But that hasn't happened and it now seems that an alliance between two of the main three parties is the only temporary way out of this mess...

And as the Conservatives won the most seats, it is right they should be trying to come to an agreement with the Lib/Dems in order to move forward...

And yes, we all guessed that electoral reform might be the stumbling block to this (and I am sure that eventually we ALL want a tidying-up of our antiquated system)...

But for goodness sake, can't that be put on the back burner for now and come up with an agreement to enable some form of government to get to grips with sorting out the financial mess the UK is in?

Then, once that is done, they can all fall out again some time in the future!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Mel, no good writing on here.  Why not contact David, Gordon and Nick?[:P]

Yes, you talk some sense into them.....

[/quote]   

I told Clegg (by email) I didn't vote for him because of the stupid "if you are illegal but been here 10 years" we will let you off.

Lets see if he listened.

Oooh,  its a tough one RH. On the tv there is/was a programme showing agents of the imigration service and police officers visiting premises and inspecting the usually non existant papers of illegal workers. They were transported to police stations and questioned/cautioned then all let go and they disapeared, programme after programme this happened. Surely tagging them with GPS ankle bands means we can know where they are and pick them up to deport them. The cost of the operations must be pretty large in terms of all the people involved and also the jobs that they occupy jobs that should be held tax paying employees. Wasting that money and tying up resources just seems stupid. 

Please don't get me going on the ones with criminal records, (the pickpocket gangs in large towns and cities) their feet should touch the ground on the way back from where they came from.

Oh JimmyMac - come on....

You certainly WILL care if there's no agreement tonight;   the markets are ready to go into melt-down and the ££ is going to fall off a cliff.   Still don't care ??   

The 'hated, corrupt, evil money men and market makers' (!!) - hate uncertainty;  they would be very unhappy with a Lab/Uncle Tom Cobley Scottish/Welsh anyone but the English coalition....because they don't believe any such coalition would take the necessary and needed drastic financial steps that lie ahead.

On top of which it looks as though poor, bankrupt UK is going to have to 'donate' even more of our money to the EU version of the IMF;  on top of the money we're already going to 'donate' to the IMF as well !!!

So if it's just your money you're concerned about - you really should be worried if this Trial Run Heath Robinson version of Proportional Representation doesn't work....best of luck.

Chessie

I suppose in any other civilised country they would be having a new election. Surely the boxes must still be available and perhaps this time the local officers will have enough sense to have sufficient staff to deal with the number of voters. The most amazing thing to my mind is that after 13 years of absolute mind blowing mistakes,lies and self profiteering ,Labour had so many votes.I always find it amazing that people suddenly become the chosen ones,as in Ruth Kelly ,the Millibands etc.etc. Where did they come from and what have they done for the country?

[quote user="chessie"]
Oh JimmyMac - come on....

You certainly WILL care if there's no agreement tonight;   the markets are ready to go into melt-down and the ££ is going to fall off a cliff.   Still don't care ??   

The 'hated, corrupt, evil money men and market makers' (!!) - hate uncertainty;  they would be very unhappy with a Lab/Uncle Tom Cobley Scottish/Welsh anyone but the English coalition....because they don't believe any such coalition would take the necessary and needed drastic financial steps that lie ahead.

On top of which it looks as though poor, bankrupt UK is going to have to 'donate' even more of our money to the EU version of the IMF;  on top of the money we're already going to 'donate' to the IMF as well !!!

So if it's just your money you're concerned about - you really should be worried if this Trial Run Heath Robinson version of Proportional Representation doesn't work....best of luck.

Chessie

[/quote]

Er no, that's just scaremongering by some UK newspapers. The UK will not be paying any money in to the 'new' fund to prop up the Euro because it's not part of the Euro. What the UK is part of is the IMF which the majority of countries subscribe to be they in or out of the EU. Its like an insurance policy in case your country goes down the tubes. The IMF is not linked to the Euro in the way you are thinking and will support any country be they in the Euro zone or not. The problem with the IMF is that it is far more stricter on terms when lending than the EU as we found out under Wilson. In fact the UK would be better off in the Euro the way things are going because it will have to borrow money in the future and it would get treated better by the EU because they can't afford for the Euro to crash.

While I was typing this Darling has been on TV and has confirmed the UK has not given any money to the EU because its not part of the Euro.

Whatever comes out of this deal between Cameron and Clegg my hope is that its lasting ...Its going to be the best we are going to get and whatever people think of the rights and wrongs of it and the trading thats gone on to get it  they give it a chance to work..

We have had years of Labour plots between Brown and Blair and their cronies and Mandelson in the middle of most of it ...We had the same in the years of  Heath ..Thatcher...Major ..plenty of plotting there .  For the sake of the country lets hope in future this new pact works well and they are left to deal with the countries woes...and  free of in fighting  for once .

[quote user="Gastines"]I suppose in any other civilised country they would be having a new election. Surely the boxes must still be available and perhaps this time the local officers will have enough sense to have sufficient staff to deal with the number of voters. The most amazing thing to my mind is that after 13 years of absolute mind blowing mistakes,lies and self profiteering ,Labour had so many votes.I always find it amazing that people suddenly become the chosen ones,as in Ruth Kelly ,the Millibands etc.etc. Where did they come from and what have they done for the country?[/quote]

The problem is that neither Labour or Liberals could fund another campaign, and I think even the Conservatives would like time for Lord Ashcroft to replenish the piggy banks ;-)

I suspect with the Conservatives promising cuts to the civil service it is very unlikely that in parts of the country wgere the civil service are the major employers people are going to vote for them, it would be like turkeys voting for Christmas ......

If the Lib-Dems do a deal with Cameron [which now seems likely] and they don't get a firm commitment to a referendum on PR [which the Tories will never agree to] then they are committing suicide. Cameron will use them for as long as he needs them - probably until he calls another election later this year - and then cast them aside. The Lib-Dems will have got nothing. People who voted for them will remember this and at the next election they will be annhilated. Remember Ramsey Macdonald!

Patrick

Just come in from mowing the lawn, well weeds really. Going round in circles on a ride on mower is quite mind numbing so your thoughts drift to other things.

With shares falling and the current financial predicament of the UK, the uncertainty in the City, the country up the Swanee without a paddle etc, etc, I would have thought that rather than spend days going back and forth prostituting themselves to one an other for their own personal kudos the 'right' thing to do is to call another election immediately. They would all be more or less in the same financial boat campaign funds wise and they should think of the country rather than themselves. Not having money would make PM's do what they should do, go knock on doors where they would also benefit from a better understanding of peoples concerns and aspirations. It would go a long way to putting them back in touch with the people they represent. I also think that any person representing a party that got zero MP's in the recent election should not be able to take part (BNP, UKIP etc). This would narrow the field down and make those who 'wasted' their vote chose between parties that have some sort of chance or they can just not vote at all if they feel embittered.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

On the other hand if they don't do a deal with the Conservatives what does it say about the way we would be governed if we had PR ?

The smallest party calls the shots ? How can that be democratic ?

[/quote]

Exactly, tail wagging dog comes to mind.

Quite . . .  a third party will always split the vote and I don't believe you can govern by that kind of committee. However there should be fresh look at the UK constituancies map, at a time when stable government is required we end up with the opposite.

My personal thinking John is the UK can't faff around at the moment its needs strong leadership to take it through the current crisis and then to build on that to stop this boom and bust cycle we keep going through. All this running around by the LibDems trying to do deals here there and everywhere is not helping. Don't forget their only real choice is to do a deal with the Tories because if they deal with Labour they still won't have enough of a majority to take power, just a couple more seats than the Tories. So my attitude is don't faff around either do it or don't do it and decide now before the country slips even further down the drain. I bet Brown finds this oh so amusing, the longer the Tories and the LibDems go back and forth negotiating the longer he stays PM which is what he wants, the job title and Kudos.

Quillan - regarding the UK propping up the Euro...

Yes, darling did say we would not be putting money directly into doing that...

But commentators pointed out it could still cost the UK up to £8billion to help via the less direct route of the IMF.

Whichever label they stick on it, lots of UK money will be used to help the Euro!

[quote user="Mel"]Quillan - regarding the UK propping up the Euro... Yes, darling did say we would not be putting money directly into doing that... But commentators pointed out it could still cost the UK up to £8billion to help via the less direct route of the IMF. Whichever label they stick on it, lots of UK money will be used to help the Euro![/quote]

Its the UK share of the money lent by the IMF to Greece. The UK will be getting the £8bn back assuming the Greeks do not default on the debt. Actually I believe that part of the conditions of the IMF loan to Greece is that in the unlikely event of them defaulting then the EU will cover the IMF loan. So it depends on how you view it, yes I suppose in a way you could say the UK has contributed but its a loan not a donation so the money will be returned with interest.