Will there Bananas at the wedding?

woolybanana

It seemed to me very like his remark in response to being asked if he was in love with Diana as 'whatever that means'. Possibly his attempt at being cryptic...

Did you note camilla's response? Unless my ears were deceiving me I'm sure she used the expression 'it's wicked'. I'm still cringing......

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there's a seamstress here now in the HV - could do with earning a bob or two (sorry cent or deux). I'll drop my e-mail over and ask if they need assistance.....

Or big bruv has cooked for HRH dad, so maybe I could wheel him out of retirement and we could join up and do the whole shebang on the cheap in these times of austerity - any volunteers for waiter/ress -ing?

I love the way on this forum we can turn the silliest of posts into a serious discussion (and vice versa)

But Bill is in line to be King and therefore has a few responsibilities, The British monarch is officially head of state, more unofficially, head of nation, the 'fount of honour'  and therefore must be seen to be doing it accordingly.

(and unless you've handed in your passport you are his subject!)

As for the cost benefit analysis, according to the Beeb they cost Ā£37m, and earn around Ā£250m

I think they've already had the honeymoon already though judging by the smiles[6]

[quote user="just john "]Probably simplier Norm to ask, if not the monarch of the United Kingdom (who more than cover their tab), who is worthy of your respect and admiration (I won't presume anything gives you pleasure).[/quote]

Perhaps the things that do give him pleasure should not be mentioned on what is a family forum!

[quote user="just john "] (and unless you've handed in your passport you are his subject!)  [/quote]

Sorry John, I'm not his subject, I'm NOBODY's subject, I am a free thinking individual who is not subjected to anybody's rule, I wholly and totally reject the concept of monarchy, of Parliament being the monarch's Parliament (except in any historical sense), that the monarch has to sign off on legislation passed by Parliament and even that the monarch's head has to appear on postage stamps.  I've started to think about the language that the lackies and flunkies use too, what does 'Royal Highness' mean, it's a silly expression, are there other Highnesses that are not royals, if so, who are they and does that mean that people at the bottom of the social scale are 'lowness/esses'?

And as for the national anthem, it's beyond the pale that in 2010 it's about a PERSON (even though the argument is that the monarch is the embodyment of the nation - no he/she isn't, the PEOPLE are the embodyment of the nation) and not about the NATION, "send her/him victorious, happy and glorious, long to reign over us", not even on a good day, I never sing the British national anthem in the same way that I never say prayers nor, if I can help it, do I even enter a Church because for me to do so would be hypocritical. 

I belong to a research society in the UK and after the lectures they 'dine'.  They have a loyal toast and say prayers, I don't take part and it has been both noted and mentioned to me and I'm told it's a reason that I would never be President of the Society!

And before anybody accuses me of anything, I've done the Queen and Country thing, sworn allegience to the Crown and the whole bit and realised very quickly that it didn't actually mean anything, I did the work I did because it helped people and because I enjoyed it, not because of some old concept of being RULED by and having allegience to somebody!

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment, however . . . .

you would automatically lose British subject status on acquiring any other nationality, 

If you hold a British Passport that would make you a upon the coming into force of the British Nationality Act 1981, a British Citizen and although the term "British subject" now has a very restrictive statutory definition in the United Kingdom, and it would therefore be incorrect to describe a British citizen as a British subject, the concept of a "subject" is still recognised by the law, and the terms "the Queen's subjects", "Her Majesty's subjects", etc., continue to be used in British legal discourse.[:P]