Wrong sentence? What would you do?

woolybanana

Heroin addiction is the worst of all addictions, IMNVHO, and having been close to an addict, I know the damage it can cause, in all senses.

In this case the mother and an ex-boyfriend restrained the addict and effectively kept her prisoner,  for which they have been sentenced to a prison term. Somehow I find this wrong. Surely it would have been much wiser for the judge to have cautioned them and made sure the addict was sent to a treatment centre until sorted?

OK, it is the Mail, but I wonder what people think?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1349230/Jail-mother-bound-gagged-addict-teenage-daughter-stop-buying-drugs.html

In a wise and balanced society, Woolly, the mother ought to have received an OBE.

Instead, as so often, the sociopathic problem is protected, at vast public cost, from the would-be public spirited and laudable act of a concerned Mum.

Same as shopkeepers sorting out robbers: we protect the miscreant at the expense of the victim.

A society truly gone mad: and destined to vanish into its own primary orifice.

I guess the logic in the sentence is to set a precedence so others don't take matters into their own hands.

They should probably have got her to a rehab centre or the like and I guess the judge used this logic.

If the judge was lenient, then it would encourage others to do the same thing instead of going to the professionals.

That's my theory.

[quote user="Gluestick"]In a wise and balanced society, Woolly, the mother ought to have received an OBE.

Instead, as so often, the sociopathic problem is protected, at vast public cost, from the would-be public spirited and laudable act of a concerned Mum.

Same as shopkeepers sorting out robbers: we protect the miscreant at the expense of the victim.

A society truly gone mad: and destined to vanish into its own primary orifice.

[/quote]

WoW. Parents should bind and gag their adult children. Maybe, that'll stop the missus thinking the British are so wonderful.

Assault. False imprisonment. Possibly kidnapping and GBH, and that's OK?

(Excuse my English law, I did my degree over 15 years ago)

PS nowhere in the story is there proof she was an addict, or what the accused claimed was actually true.

[quote user="breizh"]

PS nowhere in the story is there proof she was an addict, or what the accused claimed was actually true.

[/quote]

Since it is a story in the Daily Mail, then one can discount total veracity, probably.

I was simply responding to the ethos of the question put by the OP.

i.e. if a parent uses some level of force to prevent their child (Even one of age) doing something which would would harm themselves, then ought the parent to  be subjected to the full force of law as it might apply between two non-related third parties where self-harm was not actually a component?

Now, to place this into proper perspective, I personally believe one must accept that British kids, even of age, present with significant immaturity.

Drugs Abuse is a rapidly growing social problem: and as Mr Cameron's swingeing (and necessary) budget cuts move ahead, the available places in public funded De-Tox units are increasingly rare: they were quite insufficient before Cameron became PM.

Additionally, and perhaps worse, public health resources for mental health treatment are derisory: and at a time when mental health problems are growing apace.

Unfortunately, drugs addicts invariably present needing various levels of psycho-therapy as well as treatment of their chemical addiction.

If I was a parent with a kid of say 18 and faced with the same alleged problem, then I would act in a very similar way: whilst meantime I sought private treatment facilities.

Thus I'm by nature an erstwhile felon too.

[Www]

More from other sources:

Daily Mirror:

Francklin, who is in his 20s, also jumped on her to try and restrain her.

“You both detained a young woman who was subjected to violence and humiliation.

“It was said you, Julia Saker were at your wits’ end because of her drug taking but you could have sought professional help instead of imprisoning her in this way.”

Kent On-Line

During the struggle Tabitha was repeatedly complaining she could not breathe and Francklin could be heard threatening to hit her hard and told her mother to leave because that was what he was going to do.

Tabitha was begging them to stop hurting her. At one stage she managed to get free and grabbed a knife but was disarmed.

At one point a belt was used round her neck and her arms were tied behind her back. She suffered bruises, headache and a sore jaw Police found Tabitha crying uncontrollably.

It appears that the young woman had managed to dial 999 and left her phone switched on so that the operator/police could hear what was happening.

If anyone had treated a dog in this manner we would all be demanding the death penalty (at least) - why should we lower our expectations of acceptable behaviour for humans? The young woman was 19 so her mother had no right to detain her (let alone humiliate her). The ex-boyfriend a bully and a thug, I think that he got off lightly.

Violent activity in response to what was a violent setting, hindsight may have suggested alternatives, whilst she herself seemed happy to use a knife against her mother; throughout the defence did not deny her intention to acquire illegal drugs.

Should we just allow people to follow addiction to illegal substances until they become little more than dogs?