Silent Witness

val douest

Can anyone please put us out of our misery?  Having watched the first part if this week's Silent Witness (set in Hungary) where Harry Cunningham appeared to have been shot and then doused in petrol and set alight (which I was quite sad about as I rather like him), we set the second part to record while we did something else.  About 20 minutes into the programme we realised it wasn't recording so switched on to watch the rest, only to see Harry Cunningham running around, a bit bruised and battered but very much alive.  So what happened in the bit we missed - how did he escape what looked like total annihilation?????  Any explanation very welcome.

Val

I don't think I have seen anything so ludicrous since - as a child - I went to Saturday morning flicks and used to be enthralled by the serial with its improbable cliff-hanger resolutions.

- Harry managed to get up and stagger from gunman.

- Gunman was hit by passing lorry while chasing Harry.

- Harry did quick change with gunman's clothes, leaving his passport with gunman.

- To add a touch of verisimillitude, Harry shoots bullets into gunman's body and douses it with petrol.

This programme used to be engrossing and interesting when Professor Sam Ryan was external pathologist investigating unusual deaths. Now we have to have the protagonists acting like third rate Indiana Jones actually involved in the cases they are supposed to be investigating. Clearly the commissioning editors at the BBC have decided that the programme should be re-engineered to appeal to the taste of moronic couch potatoes to boost ratings - or to secure a place in American tv marketplace where appealing to the tastes of moronic couch potatoes is normal practice.

Incidentally, can anyone tell me when the Emilia Fox character became medically qualified, and when she obtained her postgraduate experience to become a pathology consultant? When she first appeared she was an anthropologist with a neat party trick in restoring faces to skulls.

He grabbed the petron can and wacked the guy hard with it and somehow frightened the guy so he ran away up on to the road where he was hit by a truck and fell back down the slope

There was an audible groan in this household when it looked as if Harry was dead [:(][:(]

I agree with Clark though, I could live without quite so much action

Here here, I don't think I'll be watching it again.

I used to be an avid follower of The Bill until it started devoting more time to the characters personal lives than cops and robbers.

If I wanted to watch that sort of programme I'd have chosen Eaststreet or Coronationenders !

Well - what a cop-out!  It doesn't sound as if we missed very much with the plot line being so far-fetched but many thanks to you all for putting an end to our suspense!  I agree that the programme seems to be straying further and further from the original concept; this one was all cops and robbers.  I don't think the Hungarian tourist office will be ordering extra copies either!

Val