UK TV

woolybanana

This last weekend from Saturday to Monday inclusive, I had the opportunity to watch UK TV via Freesat for the first time in a long time and to be honest I am really quite upset. What I saw from the once great British TV was cheap, garish, vulgar, often patronizing and imitative. How the heck have things got so bad? I got the feeling that it is selling itself at the level of Primark rather than that of John Lewis.

Or am I just being a grumpy old windbag?

Whichever, I shall have to think seriously about whether to invest in a Freesat set up at all.

All down to selective viewing. There are still great things on from time to time and some are unexpected and I get hooked on them,often to my amazement.

Still as the tv is on all day and all night, then we end up with crud a lot of the time.

And sometimes crud does just fine, when I am tired and not paying attention.

However you are right, I too would rather like better quality things on more frequently.

I don't want to say "UK TV" and lump everything together as rubbish.

I recently saw a fantastic programme about the international space station and the astronaut explaining what was happening was lucid, interesting and engaging.  They went round the world in 60 minutes and showed, for example, the Amazon rainforest from space.  I was completely glued to the set.

Then, there are Professor Brian Cox's programmes on "understanding our world".  OK, he is seriously dishy but I do try and understand what he is talking about, honest![:D]

And, in the summer, how else would I get to see and hear a Proms concert if not by courtesy of the great and wonderful BBC?

Saturday night is the worst night of the week to watch uk tv.

Mon,Tue,Wed, and Thu evening , you can find plenty of quality (non-tabloid) viewing.

"Silks" on a Tuesday night is a top-notch British made drama, not to be missed!

I left the UK ttravel in 2004, I had a brief spell of UK satellite television in 2006 but since then French TV only, I do have a TV at my place in the UK which will soon not work once the swichover hits my area, I was there for a fortnight recently so got my fill of what the UK has to offer.

Jeremy Kyle in the morning, to remind me never to get homesick!

No end of celebrity cooking programmes. Every evening seemed to be celeb this or reality that, I cant think of a single peak time program where I said to myself "I must watch that!".

Mind you I am getting pretty sick of French Tv now as well but at least there seems to be some real variety amongst the channels that I recieve, Arte, Direct 8, W9, RTL9, TMC, NRJ12 usually have something worth watching, whenever I see a really good nature film or scientific documentary it usually was made by the BBC and then (badly) dubbed into French yet I never see any of these type of programmes when I am in the UK. Perhaps the UK still makes good programmes but just seve up crap for the home market, a bit like the coffee in Columbia or Ecuador.

Each year a nearby town hosts the international festival de films animaliers, I usually go to a couple of the showings, a great proportion of the films are BBC productions and they usually win the awards.

University Challenge, Antiques Roadshow - we try not to miss them...... but agree you have to pick out the wheat from the chaff.  We've only had UK TV for the last 6 months here, after more than 2 years without, so it's still quite good to find some of the programmes we'd missed.

OH loved the Cox programme too, Sweet, but not because he was dishy ..... he took lots and lots of notes.

Don't seem to find time to watch much TV, either UK or French.

I think you are right about the increasing pap on British TV Wooly........

I've largely stopped watching it because of the patronising attitude of the presenters on many shows. I hate the way they try to be funny, I hate the "appropriate" music played that accompanies each pronouncement they make. I hate the way they recap on what has gone before every few minutes as if viewers were morons. I hate it when they put lightweight presenters on discussion programs - people who bring nothing new to the discussion and ask banal questions of the subjects. On BBC's Breakfast prog, the questions are usually twice as long as the answers, then the guests are cut short because they're out of time.

I hate ITV even more because of adverts.

However I do find the rare gem or two by perusing our TV mag in advance. There are some really inspiring programs and still some inspired people in television, just not enough of them.

Good to get that off my chest.

[quote user="Frecossais"]I think you are right about the increasing pap on British TV Wooly........

I've largely stopped watching it because of the patronising attitude of the presenters on many shows. I hate the way they try to be funny, I hate the "appropriate" music played that accompanies each pronouncement they make. I hate the way they recap on what has gone before every few minutes as if viewers were morons. I hate it when they put lightweight presenters on discussion programs - people who bring nothing new to the discussion and ask banal questions of the subjects. On BBC's Breakfast prog, the questions are usually twice as long as the answers, then the guests are cut short because they're out of time.

I hate ITV even more because of adverts.

[/quote]

If you think this about UK TV I hate to think how you would describe French TV.  The UK is anodyne in comparison...

Just seen a programme with Neil Morissey talking about his time in care and exploring the possible permanent effects being in care have on some people.

To me, it is a courageous programme for this man to make and it is the sort of thing that enables those of us who have never had that experience to step into his shoes for an hour or so.

If it provides some insights (however superficial and media manipulated), then it is worthwhile.

What really impressed me was that at the end of the programme, there was a helpline (manned 24 hours a day) for people to ring.  For just these gems, I would be prepared to pay my licence fee if I was still back in the UK.

This is public service broadcasting at its best.   

[quote user="woolybanana"]

I got the feeling that it is selling itself at the level of Primark rather than that of John Lewis.

Or am I just being a grumpy old windbag?

[/quote]

Not so fast Wooly, Primark is owned by Fortnum & Masons.

No one is forcing you to watch the rubbish, there are generally enough better quality progs to watch you just have to look.

Er ... not quite. They are both owned by Associated British Foods. There is no other link between them. And what is wrong with Primark?

As for TV ... no one has to watch Jeremy Kyle. Judicious checking of the listings should allow anyone to find programmes of high quality. Tonight, for instance, Simon Russell Beale is exploring the music of Palestrina on BBC4 (a channel which consistently shows thought provoking programmes). Because all channels, at some time, show rubbishy programmes is no reason to condemn UK TV.

Woolly - You are being a grumpy old windbag.

British TV is still the best in the world. You should try watching Norwegian, Danish, Greek, Turkish - not to mention the mainstream dross peddled by the French TV channels.

Jeremy Kyle is one of the best comedy programmes on the box. Or do you think it is real?

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

Er ... not quite. They are both owned by Associated British Foods. There is no other link between them. And what is wrong with Primark?

As for TV ... no one has to watch Jeremy Kyle. Judicious checking of the listings should allow anyone to find programmes of high quality. Tonight, for instance, Simon Russell Beale is exploring the music of Palestrina on BBC4 (a channel which consistently shows thought provoking programmes). Because all channels, at some time, show rubbishy programmes is no reason to condemn UK TV.

[/quote]

Indeed or Matalan. My winter shirts that I bought 11 years ago from Matalan for £3.99 each are still going strong with the exception of one which had a button fall off just the other day. I also have some Primark jeans, not the best in the world but for £20 for two pairs and they are eight years old now, seem good value for money. My neighbours wife (both are French) visit their two daughters in the UK about three times a year. Mrs 'B' always heads for two shops, Primark and M&S, she really likes Primark.

Back to the telly, you should try Norwegian TV, mostly American programs with subtitles and their 'home grown' stuff can be pretty dire. There is a lot of rubbish on UK TV but very rarely all on at the same time. What annoys me more these days is that it seems the intervals between adverts on the commercial channels get smaller and smaller which I hate. Anyway as others have said there is always the off button and as we move in to summer the amount of TV I watch gets less and less.

I hate French TV. All the dubbed CSIs, the recycled Brit game shows, the celeb galas.I think if you wanted to, you could actually watch CSI 24 hours a day! Unfortunately the only time we get to see UK TV is trips back to my parents. Trips to OH parents are a nightmare. 3 TV all going at the same time, in different rooms, on different channels. My French is good, but I just get total overload.

Having suffered TV in other countries, Catalunya was by far, far the worst. Hello-style celeb gossip progs on 3 channels, 6-8pm. That's 6 hours to fill. And no celebs!! Then this came along, and I revised my opinion. It made Big Brother/Gran Hermano look like Songs of Praise. http://www.leparisien.fr/tv/telerealite-faute-d-audience-tf1-arrete-carre-viiip-31-03-2011-1387314.php France wins the krap TV award. Nobody else in the frame! Fortunately it's been dropped, to be replaced, by guess what......CSI!!!!

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

As for TV ... no one has to watch Jeremy Kyle. some time, show rubbishy programmes is no reason to condemn UK TV.

[/quote]

I have to [:-))]

Cant start the day without my dose, another reason why I wont have UK TV again in France, I would never get any work done, although having said that I only get to see it for a few days every few months I am sure the novelty would wear off if I watched it every day.

The only other programme that I have ever had  a stronger addiction to was Judge Judy, anyone else with the same penchant?

There is a very mild and polite French equivalent of the Jerry Springer show called "ça se savoir" a pale imitation and all the guests are iin fact actors