Is yours a pet or a companion animal?

woolybanana

It's a shame they never link to the original article in these things so all you know is what the journalist selectively quotes (or misquotes) in order to make a story.

I remember a quote about either a film or a book that said 'The Greatest thing since Shakespeare'. The unabridged quote said something along the lines of ''This rubbish will never be mistaken for the greatest thing since Shakespeare.''

Pet, strictly in the english sense, thankyou very much. That word used to amuse my kids no end when they heard it in english, even though they knew what it meant in both languages.

I think that some people have animals that are companions, but ours never have been. Our dog died three years ago and we have a cat and live in his house, or at least it feels like it, so maybe we are his pets?[:D]

All our animals are simply members of our family.

I actually agree with a lot of what he is saying as I, personally, have never 'signed up' to the belief that we are, somehow, superior to animals.

I have yet to read about an animal that started a war or brought about massive destruction of this planet in the name of greed.

Anthropomorphism I hate, in fact I find things like pictures of animals taken with human clothing (hats, scarves, specs etc) on vaguely creepy.  However, I very much doubt whether this bothers the animals concerned, and I'm sure that what humans choose to call them has absolutely no impact on their lives whatsoever. 

cooperlola, I think the point is that language defines our attitudes - and our values - towards things. Most of the responses in the "Telegraph", have predictably, been like woolybanana's. There are plenty of "petlovers" in Britain who abandon, mistreat and abuse their "pets". It doesn't matter to the animals what we call them. It does matter enormously to them what our attitudes are towards them.