Mother in law's manners email

Pommier

The Email :

Carolyn Bourne's email to Heidi Withers

To: Heidi Withers

Subject: Your lack of manners

Here are a few examples of your lack of manners:

When you are a guest in another's house, you do not declare what you will and will not eat, unless you are positively allergic to something

You do not remark that you do not have enough food

You do not start before everyone else

You do not take additional helpings without being invited to by your host

When a guest in another's house, you do not lie in bed until late morning in households that rise early; you fall in line with house norms

You should never ever insult the family you are about to join at any time and most definitely not in public. I gather you passed this off as a joke but the reaction in the pub was one of shock, not laughter

You regularly draw attention to yourself. Perhaps you should ask yourself why

No one gets married in a castle unless they own it. It is brash, celebrity-style behaviour

I understand your parents are unable to contribute very much towards the cost of your wedding. (There is nothing wrong with that except that convention is such that one might presume they would have saved over the years for their daughters' marriages.) If this is the case, it would be most ladylike and gracious to lower your sights and have a modest wedding as befits both your incomes.

One could be accused of thinking that Heidi Withers must be patting herself on the back for having caught a most eligible young man. I pity Freddie

read more: http://www.tntmagazine.com/tnt-today/archive/2011/06/30/mother-in-law-s-email-on-bride-s-bad-manners-goes-viral-read-it-here.aspx#ixzz1QmWw3ZkS

I think that that was disgraceful, especially as it was the groom's step mother, not even his mother, awful woman.

I do feel for the girl it was addressed to and I'm glad that she has had her revenge although I expect that there will be enough grumpies who believe that the step mother was in her rights.

It isn't as if I don't have house rules, I have some, but I am pretty cool about most things and so I should be. 

I think most of what she said was justified in saying it, but not all.

The lying in bit wasn't a problem, but the table manners it sounds like the girl was out of order.

At least the girl knows where she stands. Nothing worse than having the cold shoulder treatment without knowing why. I think that would be worse.

But it sounds like there are other problems. Good luck to the groom who will be caught in the cross fire!

While I think the DIL lacked manners, or consideration  the MIL could have handled it differently. The comments about the wedding/castle/money/ were uncalled for and kind of 'noveau riche' one NEVER mentions money, yours or any one elses or lack there of.[:)]

It's a classic "pot and kettle" scenario, isn't it? Even if the prospective step-daughter-in-law is totally unlikeable, the m-i-l sounds like the troll bitch from hell. I can imagine that if the wedding does ever go ahead, there'll be one hell of an "atmosphere". I see that the girl's parents have waded into the fray by making some comments to the press today. I imagine they're smarting quite a bit from being told (indirectly) that they should have been saving for their daughter's wedding!! Bloody cheek!

Hey Betty... [:D]... how's life at the castle? [6]

--------------

There's a fuller version of the email on the Sky News site. It appears Heidi has diabetes which might explain (although there are no facts on which to base this conjecture) her stating some specific dietary requirements, having some issues with how much she was given (or perhaps when they were given it) etc. However, the Step-Ma-In-Law-From-Hell's attitude to Heidi's diabetes is pretty gobsmacking too.

I think SMiLFH's behaviour has obviously been assiduously learned from watching copious repeats of the Hyacinth Bucket series.

The full text is on the link below. My sympathies lie with poor Bomber the dog. He never asked for this sort of invasion of his privacy, making his trauma a subject of public speculation.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Mother-In-Law-Email-Carolyn-Bournes-Stern-Etiquette-Message-To-Heidi-Withers-Goes-Viral/Article/201106416021513?f=rss

If that is really the full text, the woman sounds positively bonkers and certainly vindictive. Or perhaps she is just unable to contain her resentment that a younger, more dynamic and perhaps more popular female is joining the family and the attention is switching from her and her carnations. Poor Freddie's dad!

I wonder if step mother in law had already attempted to have a word, either with DIL or indeed her step son ?

Most diabetics take 'rations' with them and most hostesses ask in advance if there are dietry requirements......or the guest makes the info known before the visit if it could cause problems...six of one and half a dozen of the other here me thinks.......

[quote user="Catalpa"]Hey Betty... [:D]... how's life at the castle? [6]

Spiffing, thanks! Kate appears to have little in common with Heidi and is the epitome of breeding and good manners. P'raps that's why Carolyn Bourne is so bitter: apparently Freddie is one of Kate's mates. She's probably quietly humming "It should've been me" into her Lapsang Souchong.

My invite to the "other" Royal Wedding this weekend has also got lost in the post, though...[:(]

Hope all's spiffing with you, too

--------------

My sympathies lie with poor Bomber the dog. He never asked for this sort of invasion of his privacy, making his trauma a subject of public speculation.

I agree Bomber is the real Innocent Victim. Mind you, she probably sends him e-mails reprimanding him if he moults on the furniture. It's a dog's life.

[/quote]

I agree Bomber is the real Innocent Victim. Mind you, she probably sends him e-mails reprimanding him if he moults on the furniture. It's a dog's life.

LOL I used to go to 'general ' auctions at Drewett Neat in Newbury - well to do folk in the vicinity - good quality of furnishings, bric a brac etc.  Several times I saw people buying pretty nice sofas especially for the dogs, so they could moult until their heart was content.

Sadly they no longer have general sales [:(]