Santander, another one.

Bugsy

Just received this bollox.................................

Account Status Notification

Dear Customer,

Your access to our Santander Internet Banking has been temporarily disabled due to multiple login errors. Protecting the privacy of your internet banking access and of the Abbey banking network is our primary concern. Therefore, as a preventive measure, we have temporarily limited access to sensitive Santander Internet Banking features.

please follow the link below and we will verify and restore your Internet banking access immediately.

my account activity

Simple steps to help you bank safely

We are committed to protecting you when you bank with us. Our banking services are designed with your security in mind. To learn more about our services and how you can better protect yourself, select any of the topics below:

Regards

Online Security Team

I had some fun with my own online account yesterday, Bugs.  I was with Alliance and Leicester and have resisted changing to the Santander online system until yesterday when the A&L one had disappeared altogether.  Annoyingly, it won't accept the fact that I don't possess a UK mobile phone number so its user-unfriendly software can't send the passcode to me for certain transactions.  Happily, it's only to set up new payees etc so isn't much of an imposition as it happens but is very annoying, especially as we were are reassured that "nothing would change" once Santander took over.  Not much it wouldn't!  [:@]

I got the same email last week Bugsy and assumed it was a scam since they called me 'Customer' instead of Mrs suej and normally stuff from them is personalised. I keep an account there but don't do much with it and the monthly paper statements usually keep me up to date with it. As soon as i received the email I thought I'd look to see how disabled my interenet access was...........it wasn't the slightest bit disabled at all, it functioned easy-peasy as normal.

Easy mistake ? or nasty phishing?

I assume that Bugsy's e-mail is a nasty scam but even so the Santander online account for those whose accounts were previously with other banks is pretty rubbish now and impossible to use properly without a mobile phone.  Thus it's making it easier for these scammers to take people in.

I have had a series of e-mails coming from BT telling me that my internet connection was unsafe and that it would be disabled if I did not contact them with various details.

Happily (for me but not for the sender) I knew that no BT e-mail would be sent from the BT Internet Security Center.

Russethouse, This particular scam was on Radio 4 a couple of weeks ago - the recipient of the 'microsoft' call was a bbc reporter and strung them along for ages, while recording the very complex instructions he was being given to 'fix the problem'.

When he admitted that he in fact didn't use microsoft as he operated an Apple computer the scammer got very cross and accused him of wasting his time!

I tried to log in to my Santander account this morning and like Coops discovered that my old log-in wouldn't work unless I gave them mobile phone number. I rang the complaints department. The man I spoke to assumed that I didn't have a mobile phone so I told him I had and that I just chose not to give it to them.

He explained that they needed it so that they could send me a code number if I wanted to transfer some money or pay someone I hadn't paid before. What they would do is to send a code number to my mobile which I could then use to to verify the payment.

I said I found all that very interesting but I still wouldn't give him my number. I pointed out (thanks Coops I'd forgotten this bit) that I'd been assured that nothing would change when Santander took over.

He now says that he is going to do something to my account which will allow me to access it normally without giving them my mobile number. He says it will take a few hours to go through so I haven't tried yet.

Hoddy