Which car, which fuel?

woolybanana

Could any of you car savvy people give some advice svp?

My Meriva is almost 8 years old, beginning to feel her age and will soon probably need a bit of money spending on her, so perhaps it is time for a change and a trade-in deal.

But, should I now be looking at another diesel or a petrol engine, given that I seem to be doing just over 15000kms per year and falling I hope?

My need is for a Golf sized car with a decent boot for the dogs, low fuel use and reasonable comfort, particularly a speed limiter plus alarm, central locking etc.

So far I have looked at the Skoda Roomster, the SuzukiSX4 (2wheel drive), the Kia Venga and the Opel Meriva.

My first instinct was the Skoda but the diesel version seems to have problems with the injectors as do all VWs. The Meriva seems a bit bigger than my old one and a bit dearer. The Venga seems to press the right buttons whilst the Suzuki SX4 is very pretty but the boot may be a tiny bit small.

Any thoughts on any of these, please, and of the dos and don'ts of buying in France, particularly how to get the best trade in deals?

[quote user="woolybanana"]But, should I now be looking at another diesel or a petrol engine, given that I seem to be doing just over 15000kms per year and falling I hope? [/quote]

We were told that there is little point in paying the higher purchase price for a diesel unless OH was going to be driving more than 20 000 kms a year. Don't know how true this is ... it is just what a salesman told us !

Sue

I like comparisons on the .honestjohn. site, he is pretty discerning regarding badges especially, frequently pointing out that VAG trades on its oft mistaken reputation; the roomster doesn't rate as high as the C3 Picasso and CAP have predicted that will have best in class second-hand value. I am holding back on a future diesel having experience of catalytic replacement costs, not to mention higher servicing costs especially if you do less than 30k per annum, but lots of research needed with pro's and con's coming down to personal preference. In each review he lists ''also consider'', click the link.

A lot of people round here have been buying Dacia's. Now I know him off of Top Gear thinks them a joke but the French seem to like them mainly because of the engine which I think is Renault. Whilst following Mrs Q round the supermarket one day I lounged around in the magazine section. There was a magazine, don't know the name, but it looks at second hand cars, how much they cost to fix and what goes wrong with them. The Dacias got a very good write up gaining a maximum 5 out of 5 starts for a good buy. On the other hand I have a 308SW. I get something like 60mpg out of it and can get from near Perpignan up to the channel ports on one tank with just enough left to find a garage to refill. Having said that I wouldn't buy a Peugeot again. I have had a lot of small problems yet it's cost me a bomb to get them fixed.

Personally I am drawn towards either the Audi A4 or the Mondeo estates. Had a couple of Mondeo's and they have come a long way from the 'Dagenham Dustbin' days, both mine were very good.

I am not too sure about the salesman's comments being right. As far as I know diesels are generally more economical, the engine lasts longer and can take more abuse and petrol is more expensive in France so the cost per mile, or km if you want, should be lower for a diesel. So overall I would have said a diesel car in France would be cheaper to run although I have no proof to back this up, it's just my thoughts.

I'm not into cars and as we needed some room for hauling stuff around etc we bought a Berlingo. Plenty of doggie room and I have done some long journeys in it and did a 1000kms over 3 days a few weeks ago and it wasn't uncomfy.

Don't know what I'd get next, our friends Audi  A4 has a good boot in it.

Diesel vs Petrol is the balance between initial cost minus resale value (both higher than the petrol version) versus the cheaper fuel.

At 15km/yr I doubt the financial benefit lies with diesel.  It used to be 25000 mile per year but diesels have become comparatively cheaper since then - but so has petrol compared with diesel fuel - or better said diesel is now comparatively more expensive than it used to be - and in the UK actually more expensive.

Diesel engines have tended to last longer than petrol, but these days a cheap diesel engine probably only outstrips a good petrol engine by at most 50k km.

So if you are buying new then I think on your mileage petrol is the way to go - unless you know the Dordogne chip shop van owner and can do a deal to dispose of his waste oil.

I think that that is why we stick to diesel, that they go on and on, at least that is what ours seems to have done and that suits me. Car, to get from A to B, not need to much doing to it and not too expensive to run. The fuss about all else escapes me really.

Unless that huge tax hits diesels, diesels it'll be even though our kilometrage has gone down.

Petrol cars do use a lot more fuel on short runs where the car is on a rich mixture.

Bearing in mind VAG technology is also Skoda and Seat there can't be too much wrong with them and the injectors and pumps aren't made buy VAG they are bought in from Bosch so that would be 50-60% of the entire worlds injected cars with the same problems? doubt that.

As Coop's likes to point out, what car keeps winning Le Mans, Diesel!

Don't rule out hydrogen fueled cars coming soon

Also depends what regular maintenance is required by the various engines.

I run a Rover 75 diesel tourer which has a chain driven BMW engine so no belts to change. Whereas the petrol engines have belts that need changing and is an expensive operation if carried out by a garage.

In fact today go to pick up a later model and with 215k miles on my old one my BIL wants mine, he knows that I have had no problems with it and it still goes very well (for the past 5 years it has done 5 return trips to SW France per year).

In the UK diesel is dearer than petrol but I like being in France, diesel is so much cheaper than petrol.

Someone I know has a Vauxhall diesel and when moving you can tell  it is a diesel. The 75 could well be petrol when on the move.

With my car an average of 45mpg is the norm. Some of the petrol versions average around 30mpg.

Residual values also seem better with diesels.

However, at the end of the day the decision is yours.

Paul

I think your fuel price comparison is a bit out of date (so was mine but this week I am driving the wife's petrol car and have just realised).  the difference here (13) between petrol and diesel is now 12c - still a lot but I can rember it being 30%!  In Germany there were a couple of months last year where, due to demand (not tax manipulation) , diesel became more expensive than petrol by a fraction of a cent or so.  It does show how the relative prices are moving and diesel will become progressively and comparatively more expensive against petrol, all the while that people buy diesels against petrol cars

Just went to see a Picasso. It seems not too bad. Plenty of space and a good high sitting position. Plus good fuel figures.

But why oh why do they only ever have the haut de gamme to look at when I wanna see something simpler as I don't need all those bits of silly extra stuff that put the prices up?

I think a diesel Logan Estate would be a great buy for you, Wools.  Bit boggo-basic but a pleasant chassis and an engine any garagiste can fix.  Lots of other bits from the Renault/Nissan/Dacia parts bin too.   There'll always be a buyer for it and you'll get a reasonable return if you decide you hate it.  Also, have a look at the Note (plus its replacement should be in the showrooms any day now - it has a daft name I can't remember just this minute) and its aysmetrical twin the Scenic - same chassis, same engines, different finishes/shapes - in general both are more refined than the Logan but more expensive and not quite so roomy.

Quelle Voiture has an index of running costs (Conso Moyenne) to give you a good idea of day to day running costs vs price.  Personnaly too, I actually prefer a diesel for day-to-day as the power tends to be in the right place.

EDIT ; This month's QV puts the 5008 (2.0 HDi - a bit more car than you need I suspect), the Scenic (1.5dCi 110)and the C-Max (1.6 TDCi) as its top 3 Monospaces.

Edit 2 : The answer to your question is :"because the boss uses the demo' cars at the weekends."[Www]

[quote user="cooperlola"] I think a diesel Logan Estate would be a great buy for you, [/quote] [:-))]

Don't do it wools unless you currently drive around in a blue overcoat and beret, [:D]

With the truck at home do you need anything more than a 5 door hatch ?
maybelook at http://www.suzukiswift.fr/presentation.asp ''On the road, the Suzuki Swift achieves something other small hatches don't - it's fun; this is especially evident with the 1.2-litre petrol, with its peppy, willing nature. Five-star Euro NCAP crash test rating. But, most importantly, it's cheaper to run with one of the cleanest petrol engines on the market in the shape of a chain cam Toyota engine 1.2-litre producing 94bhp, emits just 116g/km of CO2. The benefit of a Euro 5 compliant clean petrol engine is that you won't find yourself paying a premium for diesel, fuel consumption on the combined cycle 56.5mpg. All-new design, with a wider track and longer wheelbase, which makes for more space inside. Astonishingly good handling. Fun to drive''

Well, thanks for all the ideas, folks. I only have a few more makes to look at now when I can manage to find their garages.

I did see a super Toyota BUT it did not have a cruise control, nor was one available and so ruled it out immediately. It is the one basic essential that I do insist on.

They do help[:-))]

JJ, I think the SX 4 is very pretty but they only import one model in France, though it is identical to one of the Fiats, both being made at the same factory in Hungary, so I'll go and see what they have soon. But it has a very small boot and I have doggies.

The Verso I liked is the S which comes direct from Japan and is a bit smaller than the other, but, as I said, no speed control.

[quote user="just john "]

[quote user="Benjamin"] No one ever pulled driving a Dacia.     [8-|] [/quote] As long as wearing blue overcoat & beret[6]

MPV/Hatchback's with Cruise

Toyota  -Auris- , Verso, Aygo, Rav

Suzuki Swift, Vitara, SX4

[/quote]

Yes but the Dacia starts off dirt cheap and then you start adding the things you want. With other cars you can't take off the bits you don't want. The problem with the Dacia is that when you configure one to match another make its about the same price. The Dacia Logan starts at just under €9k but by the time you have got it to the same spec as the cars above your just under €18k. Even a spare wheel is an option. Bit like the old days with BMW's, you want wheels sir that will be another 2k. Still at least you would have a choice on the bits you do want and not forced to having the bits you don't. I wouldn't discount them on 'snob value' as many seem to do.

How about Jensun Buttons old car, thats up for sale, Bugatti Veyron. One owner, non smoker, never raced (!), only 1,500 miles on the clock goes 33mph faster than an F1 car, only £900k (less 5 quid). Boots a bit small mind. At 253mph I don't think the police will be stopping you either. [;-)]

Well, have now just about covered what there is on the market, the last being Ford (new model in June to replace the Focus which has been discontinued) and VW, Golf, petrol, which was very nice, I must say. The Nissan Note is long in the tooth now and quite pricey but the Honda Jazz is not too bad at all, though a bit low on the ground.

I am gradually coming round to a petrol engine, around 1.4, I think.

But will now cogitate awhile and listen to advice.

Quillan, we might ask what other crimes she has committed. Notice how silent she is again, perhaps hiding something or removing evidence!![6]