R.I.P. Panasonic Bread Machine

Clair

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, little Welsh girl goes to foreign country by car, crosses said country, obtains foreign built breadmaker and returns it to another country. Hmmmm, damage to environment, cost of travel, cost of currency exchange, foreign import costing jobs in two countries........ I reckon your breadmaker stands you at about £800! All that to indulge yourself in  a full FAT brioche whilst half the world goes hungry! Capitalist and environmental vandal![;-)]

So much you know about how I got my new breadmaker!

Assumptions, assumptions, assumptions....

For your info, you poor friendless, bitter vieillard, my friend JJ just happened to be visiting his maison secondaire which just happened to be within a stone's throw of my new abode in the Dordogne and he just happened to bring me my new breadmaker and so I can indulge in all the carb-laden treats I please![:D]

I'm so sorry you seem not to have anyone just happening to do anything similar for you![:P]

The jury is still out.

The miscreant has been advised by counsel not to comment unless this further incriminates her.

The judge has been seen brushing the cobwebs off his black cap and wooly has been lucky not to have been sent down for contempt. Bring back D notices!!!!!

Sorry I haven't updated you all about my new bread machine, I've been so so busy trying new recipes and testing and tasting... [Www]

Best discovery to date: I have made rice pudding (coconut rice pudding for me, thank you [:)]) in the NEW bread machine. This is very good, as I lurve coconut rice pudding, but Mr Clair doesn't and I don't like standing at the cooker stirring, and turning the oven on for a small dish does seem an extravagance.

So when I found out I could make it in the NEW bread machine (on the jam setting, in case anyone is interested), I had to try it out.

Which I did.

And it works just beautifully.

And it tasted just fantastic.

Especially with toasted hazelnuts and honey.

So there!

The first brioche was also fine, and I did another, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke... [:P]

[quote user="partout"]THIS FANTASTIC MOULINEX BREAD MACHINE, does it have the ability to turn its hand to a danish Pastry or cinnamon bun ?[/quote]

Both of these can be made from a brioche dough (although Danish would requires more work), so the answer would be YES, as long as you're willing to do a bit of work after tipping the dough out of the bowl...

I have used this recipe recently for cinnamon buns, making the dough in the now-defunct Panasonic bread machine...

An easier (and tested) Danish pastry recipe is mentioned on this thread.

Now that recipe of Nigellas is what I would use to make croissant dough and something along those lines for brioche dough. Butter being the key. I still do not understand how you can get a brioche that tastes right with so little butter in it Clair. Surely it would only be as buttery as my butter bread, which isn't really until I put a nice thick coat of butter on it.

[quote user="idun"]I still do not understand how you can get a brioche that tastes right with so little butter in it [/quote]

Given that butter, or any fat, inhibits yeast development (as does sugar , when added in large quantity), the fact of the matter is that if you use a machine, which has a strictly timed program for mixing, rising and cooking, you cannot use as much butter as you would when making the dough by hand. If you did, you'd end up with a buttery brick of cooked dough,

As I have mentioned before, I use different recipes for machine-made and hand-made doughs.

I was asked to give a bread-making tutorial and demonstration last month and below is the recipe I used for the brioche. This keeps in the fridge for up to 5 days and it also freeze very well.

• 350 ml d'eau ou de lait (ou eau + lait), tiède (25°C à 35°C)
  • 1 sachet de levure sèche de boulanger (traditionnelle, express ou instantanée)
  • 20 g (1 c. à soupe plate) de gros sel
  • 8 Å“ufs, légèrement battus
  • 8 c. à soupe de miel liquide
  • 450g de beurre fondu
  • 1 kg de farine T45 ou T55
I'm sure your brioche tastes nice.

"Anyway, I chucked it over the fence this morning,"

The verdict of the jury, given by their foreman, brought uproar in court as he pronounced "Not Guilty".

The defendant turned to smile at him and almost imperceptibly made an upward movement of the thumb on her right hand.

In his summing up the Judge had pointed out to the jury the testimony of the Veolia employee at the tip in question, who had said that on the morning of the alledged offence he had found a breadmaker neatly stacked at the side of the closed container reserved for small electrical appliances when he went to open it up.

The defendant left the dock to loud boos from the public gallery where someone was waving a banana in protest.

Outside the court the jury foreman, who had arrived by bus that morning, was seen leaving in a shiny new Dacia Logan.

The story, however, has a happy ending.

J-P, the perpetual adolescent who hangs around the tip on his battered old moped with two wheeled gas cart attached, approached the Veolia employee and asked if he could take the discarded breadmaker from the small appliance container. Yves paused from flicking specs of dust from his shiny new Dacia Logan, spat at the boys' feet, and nodded.

J-P spent all evening dismantling and cleaning the breadmaker so that the next morning at his grandparent's house where he lived (he had been abandoned by his parents when their new baby arrived) there wafted the heady smell of freshly made brioche.

His grandparents smiled indulgently at J-P as they settled down to breakfast together.

Bad news spreads round the world at viral speed. Only minutes ago I saw an article in that well respected American newspaper "The Bread-maker Times".

Apparently the prosecutor, faced with such an overwhelming defeat at the hands of the jury is determined to push this through the European Court. He now wants to go with the lesser charges of desertion and abandonment. A representative from the Society of Bread-makers (SOB) said they will give full support to any prosecution. When interviewed the accused said it was "all a load of old waffle and they are simply falling for another old sob story". SOB said that they were pleased that the bread-maker concerned had been rescued and received appropriate first aid. Madonna, having read the article in the Bread-maker Times has come forward and offered to adopt the bread-maker saying that it would join her other 37 orphaned bread-makers that she has rescued from all over the world.

[quote user="Quillan"]Madonna, having read the article in the Bread-maker Times has come forward and offered to adopt the bread-maker saying that it would join her other 37 orphaned bread-makers that she has rescued from all over the world.[/quote]

I signed a confidentiality agreement.

My lips are sealed (except for brioche) and my fingers are stuck together  (except for buttering bread slices).

• 5 months later...

Sorry to rekindle the sorry tale of Clairs dead bread maker............

Now that we are retired we shall be spending a lot more time in France. The nearest bakers is 10+ minutes away and something has happened to his bread, it is not as nice - although in 5.5 years his price for bread etc has not changed.

So should we get a bread maker?

Clair you went for theMoulinex, how is it?

Anyone else have a suggestion of which to go for?

We are not looking to make any special types of bread - just bread bread.

We normally have a bagette filled with something for lunch - if I am going to the bakers then it is also pain au chocolat for breakfast but perhaps that is not the healthiest start to the day.

Paul

Knowing our capacity for buying every gadget known to man and never using them, we bought a bog standard one which was on special offer in the supermarket.  Given that we've made about 4 loaves in the six years we've had the thing, I reckon it's been just as good as a top of the range one would have been.[:-))]

[quote user="PaulT"]So should we get a bread maker?

Clair you went for the Moulinex, how is it?

Anyone else have a suggestion of which to go for?

We are not looking to make any special types of bread - just bread bread.

We normally have a baguette filled with something for lunch - if I am going to the bakers then it is also pain au chocolat for breakfast but perhaps that is not the healthiest start to the day.

Paul[/quote]

The Moulinex is great, but I should say I tend to forego the recipes enclosed in the useless book and adapt the Panasonic recipes.

I use it to make dough for bread I want to shape in rolls or sticks, for brioche and pizza dough.

I have used it for small batches of strawberry jam (and rice pudding on the jam setting) and that is great. Not jamtastic but handy to use up a bit of fruit for a couple of pots in the fridge.

Most of them do more or less the same things nowadays, unless you go for the baguette-making one (you have to handle and shape the dough half-way though), or the latest "artisan"  Moulinex BM - video here -  (it works with bags of dried levain/ferment which have to be bought separately after the bags supplied with the machine are used).

The Lidl and Aldi bread-makers come in the shops twice a year or so and are usually priced around 35-45€. They could be worth waiting for if you don't want to spend a lot of... dough!  (sorry...)

If you're interested in trying to make your own, this is the very easy method I use, which requires 5mn work for mixing and then you're only 30mn away from a fresh baguette any day of the week. I have demonstrated this several times in the village, for bread and brioches, and have made a lot of converts of all ages!

Let me know if you want more info on this...

Paul, everyone I know who has a Panasonic is happy with it, so that would be my recommendation

My oh is the bread maker and although he makes the loaves by adding the ingredients himself , he often sometimes uses the Francine Pain rustique aux cereales

When he makes the loaves himself he can cut down on the salt content.