Freefall jump from the edge of Space.

woolybanana

[quote user="Hoddy"]Oh dear ! I was hoping someone would answer Rabbie's question because I don't see the point either.

Hoddy[/quote]

I thought I did [:(]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/9610119/Red-Bulls-space-jump-stunt-with-Felix-Baumgartner-worth-100m-in-ad-spend.html

"Red Bull is

privately owned and led by “maverick” Dietrich Mateschitz, the Austrian

toothpaste marketer who adapted Asia’s tonic drinks to Western taste. In a

soft drinks market dominated by Coca-Cola and Pepsi, he has pioneered

“experiential” marketing, where companies use events to define their brand

and build loyalty.

"

or do you mean why they chose to sponser the jump itself?

"Baumgartner said he didn't only do the stunt to set a record. He also did it for science, as the jump could help NASA design better and stronger spacesuits for astronauts.

Doctors said the data from Baumgartner's jump will "break new ground."

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/felix-baumgartner-daredevils-supersonic-leap-breaks-records/story?id=17465225

[quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="Rabbie"]But why did he bother? What's the point?[/quote]

That you ask the question tells me you would not understand the answer.

Look on it as raising the bar for mankind.

[/quote]That strikes me as a  very cheap shot. I have founfd throughout life that the way to increasing my understanding is to ask questions. A wise man once said there are no stupid questions just sometimes stupid answers. I think perhaps you have illustrated his point.[:D] 

You beat me to it it. I was going to say "that told him, three times in fact". [;-)]

No doubt there will be some interesting data from his jump that one day for whatever reasons may even help save a life, you just never know in life. Would I personally do it, you must be joking, even looking out of my upstairs window these days is quite enough. [;-)]