Aid to UK Farmers?

Gardian

I must admit that the news is making me grumpy today.

The pictures of sheep having to be literally dug out of snowdrifts on the Isle of Man (and elsewhere in the UK) and hearing of the losses that the farmers face made me wonder whether this is one of those situations where the Government ought to show some generosity by way of compensation.  Fund it by cutting the Overseas Development budget by a fraction of a % (we're still sending £300m p.a. to India, a nuclear power and £80m to Zimbabwe - I wonder where most of that dosh goes?)

Precedents are always a dodgy business, but wasn't compensation paid during the foot & mouth crisis?

And yes, the IOM isn't really the UK is it, but surely they're not completely on their own?

Governments do not pay compensation! Taxpayers do as decided by an encumbent Government.

Doesn't it just make you cringe when some Minister or other comes out with the phrase "We have decided to pay...........".

And yes.. They could do with a bit of help. Maybe Tesco et al may decide to pay a bit extra for the ones that are left.

Which is a bit of a bugg*r as Mrs Benjamin and I do enjoy a bit of early season lamb.

I am not sure you can call lambs born now (end of March ) ''early season lamb'', they will not be at slaughter weight for a couple of months at best.

Proper early season lambs in the shops are actually born, indoors, around January.

The normal lambing time is now, to take advantage of the spring growth of grass, which fattens them up.

[quote user="Gardian"]

Precedents are always a dodgy business, but wasn't compensation paid during the foot & mouth crisis?

[/quote]Compensation is paid for Foot & Mouth because the UK operates a compulsory slaughter policy as a means of controlling this disease. A similar policy is in operation for cattle testing positive for TB.

I know my farming friends would welcome this support but I can't see this government being generous in the present economic climate

I suppose it will depend how many animals have been lost.

As well as compensation for TB we routinely pay for the compulsory slaughter of animals infected with BSE, brucellosis and EBC. This seems reasonable to me because there is no possibility of insurance.

Hoddy

Is there not a provision under CAP rules for compensation losses  of crops caused by weather  disaster if so what about livestock ?      Perhaps somebody has to declare a weather disaster before any help is provided if such help exists  for heavy snow under EU rules ?  I will be surprised if there is nothing that can be claimed for ..

Perhaps UK  snow does not count for compensation....where an Italian earthquake  aftershock  upsetting agriculture does  !

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-12-1418_en.htm

The last paragraph on what is natural or not seems to be the trigger for payments  IMO ..and worth trying a claim !

"exceptional occurrence," which allows Member States to grant support to

compensate for the material damage (up to 100%). On the basis of the

information available, the notified scheme is therefore compatible with

Article 107 (2) (b) of the Treaty, which establishes that

" aid to make

good the damage caused by natural disasters or exceptional occurrences  " .......   

is compatible with the internal market.

Is how its quoted  Article 107 (2) (b)    If I was a hill farmer I would give it a run