Dr Bloody Who

Gardian

Although not a Dr Who fan myself - it wasn't on TV until I was away at university I think people should remember that watching TV is not compulsory. You can switch the box off if there isn't anything you consider worth watching and read a book or listen to music or whatever you do enjoy. It seems that millions do enjoy programs I don't so just find something else to do.

I think that the majority of people are fairly au fait with the workings of the remote control. The problem (if one perceives it to be one) is exacerbated by the fact that Dr Who-related stuff has been popping up all over the place. So, you're halfway through watching a programme you enjoy and suddenly they decide to do an item on Dr Who, every chat show has a guest with some tenuous relationship to Dr Who, and why, even an episode of "Antiques Road Trip" featured as its guest celebrities two former assistants of the Doctor. The News: Dr Who. The Graham Norton Show: Dr Who. The One Show: Dr Who. Dramas about how Dr Who was brought to the screen, radio broadcasts about Dr Who... Oh, and then the Anniversary Show itself. Some things are clearly signposted as stuff to switch off from, others just sneak up on you in the middle of an otherwise enjoyable piece of light entertainment.

I haven't watched much on TV this week. I certainly haven't watched much on the BBC. Like many, I suspect, who have commented, I've done something else. The fact that folk are complaining doesn't necessarily mean they were handcuffed to the sofa and forced to watch, or stupid enough to suffer it. Like the long ago episode of The Likely Lads where they were trying to avoid knowing the result of a football match, trying to avoid all mention of Dr Who involves switching off the TV, the radio, and most other forms of media, and hiding in a darkened room. Or a church, if anyone remembers that Likely Lads episode.[:D]

I'm not very au fait with what 'Doctor Who' is  -  but am inclined to be pro.

Surely anything which distracts the celebrity-obsessed, telly-watching public from any kind of idolization of the spawn of the odious 'Joe' Kennedy must be a good thing?

I do hope that they have some equally banal and compelling pablum up their sleeves as an antidote against 6th June 2018 when we are due for a second dose of this emetic, soap-operatic twaddle.

And then, the following year, there will doubtless be further razzmatazz for the fiftieth anniversary of 'Chappaquiddick Creek'…