Prescription glasses

woolybanana

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://en-gb.facebook.com/SolentSpectacles

I use these people and have done for  quite a while .They will deal with people living in France by post no problem ..They already have customers in France

I kept my designer frames  which I bought from them for £28 over year ago. On line price was £120 . I do not know what a high street optician would have charged ... They have just put me new lenses in react to light ones that go to sun glasses in the frames  for £40 .

I am currently going through the process of obtaining varifocals online from Glasses2you for a friend and her mother. They have each been quoted 600 euros PLUS the cost of lenses, amounting to around 800 euros per pair of glasses. I ordered their selection of frames online and the total cost, including lenses and postage was £220 - for both pairs. The process of ensuring appropriate preparation of the glasses is they send out the frames with clear glass, you take a close-up photo and send it back for accurate measurements. They then send out the completed glasses with lenses. We have just sent back the photos so still have to wait and see if they are OK once made up. I should know within a couple of weeks whether this process is effective. I have bought several pairs of glasses from this online site (but only single vision) and been very impressed with the cost and service.

The cost of glasses in France is, in my opinion, extortionate and must result in many people driving with defective vision, as so many people do not have the money to buy the glasses they need.

Thats a sensible procedure Tina and must add significantly to the overall cost as its effectively 3 lots of postage but I would think that it does work well.

Please let us know of the results as I am considering trying varifocals again.

in the meantime I will look at their site for single vision ones.

[quote user="Loiseau"]Yes, I'll look forward.to how that turns out as well,Tina.

Having been stung for £800 for my present pair of varifocals at my local UK optician's last year, i shall be looking for a change next time...

Angela[/quote]£800 seems well over the top. I paid just under £400 for my varifocals this spring including new frames. I always use our local high street opticians as they are always very helpful. For me it is a case of use them or lose them. 

Talked to the local glasses shop today about the high cost of kit in France and they maintain that there two significant factors: the first is the cost of the lenses themselves, of which there are many different qualities and types, and the second is that the cheap lenses are cut in China where conditions are awful.

Both of the arguements I rejected.

Took the words from my mouth, Wooly!

I went back there as friends kept saying they were SO nice, and so efficient etc.

In slight mitigation, I thnk the £800 did include a pair of single-vision lenses for my computer spex, for which I had them reuse the old frame.

Angela

''For me it is a case of use them or lose them''

So what Rabbie ? - you're not honestly saying that's it's better to be ripped off than see high street opticians go out of business - are you??

The online suppliers are 'very helpful' too - in fact they trounce French style customer service.

It's nearly 2014 - the world has moved on...(thank goodness)

£400 for varifocals - utter rip-off. Or, are they gold plated?

Chiefluvvie

[quote user="woolybanana"]Well, Rabbie, perhaps some things should be 'lost'?[/quote]That may be your opinion which I respect. I feel you should respect mine even if you disagree. As you may know Mrs Rabbie is a vet and her glasses can occasionally get damaged by horses etc and we find it reassuring to know there is a local optician who will do minor repairs free of charge and for that reason I feel they deserve our support.

Loiseau was, as I said, IMO overcharged. If I were being charged that price I would take my business elsewhere.

Chiefluvvie, As it says on my profile I live in the UK so French levels of customer service are not actually relevant in this case but then when have the facts ever got in the way of your opinions[:)]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Talked to the local glasses shop today about the high cost of kit in France and they maintain that there two significant factors: the first is the cost of the lenses themselves, of which there are many different qualities and types, and the second is that the cheap lenses are cut in China where conditions are awful.

Both of the arguements I rejected.[/quote]

Put my specs in for new transition lenses and three working days later I get a call to come in and collect them... I always thought they were ground and shaped to the frames locally.  But being cheap .....If they have been to China and back then they must have got Concorde out of mothballs !

I, too, am waiting for tinabee to come and report back here.

Both OH and I could do with new specs.

But, Chiefluvvie, I've just GOT to say you have chosen the absolute fit-like-a-glove avatar for yourself. 

It's just so you and, although I do tut-tut at you sometimes, you are sufficiently outrageous to make me gasp and grin at the same time[:D]

As for concorde, I was on the parking lot right next to the runway where it was taking off once and the NOISE has to be heard to be believed.  But we were thrilled to see it go off the way it did, just so beautiful that you forgave all the stuff you heard about emissions and pollution and whatever else!

[quote user="Frederick"][quote user="woolybanana"]Talked to the local glasses shop today about the high cost of kit in France and they maintain that there two significant factors: the first is the cost of the lenses themselves, of which there are many different qualities and types, and the second is that the cheap lenses are cut in China where conditions are awful.

Both of the arguements I rejected.[/quote]

Put my specs in for new transition lenses and three working days later I get a call to come in and collect them... I always thought they were ground and shaped to the frames locally.  But being cheap .....If they have been to China and back then they must have got Concorde out of mothballs !

[/quote]

The French model probably involves them being ground in China and then every possible permutation of required lens being stored in a warehouse in France at exhorbitant cost until someone orders them, then handpicked from stock by a highly qualified technician, delivered to the assembly point RAAR  with each lens in an individual parcel, and then inserted into the frames by someone with a postdoctorate in opthalmology.

Someone I vaguely knew in RL on another forum claimed to have worked for a frame company and confirmed that ALL frames are, indeed, made in China or somewhere low cost, and ALL of them cost about a fiver to make, irrespective of the designer name on the side.