Norman has a new barrel

NormanH

[quote user="Loiseau"]You see, he's fine!

Spending too long wrestling with his kitchen, that's all...

Angela[/quote]

I think that all Norman's chickens have come home to roost so he needed another home pdq and that Wooly's kitchen has him in some sort of half Nelson as a man of his age should not be doing too much wrestling.

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="richard51"]Thanks. I was genuinely in the dark as I was not aware of the previous discussions.

I was wondering, though, if it was anything to do with the Greek Philosopher named Diogenes who lived in barrel (actually a huge clay pot).
[/quote]

I have always believed that that was the second level meaning, and have taken it as a compliment since Diogenes "made a virtue of poverty, used his simple lifstyle and behaviour to criticise the social values and institutions of what he saw as a corrupt society", and was also known as Diogenes the cynic...

[/quote]

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying more pleasant surroundings.

It never occurred to me that anything other than a reference to Diogenes was intended.

On crossing roads, this seems easier now that I have a walking cane, which while not white, is a very pale colour.

I find that drivers who previously might have challenged me to a test of nerves on "zebra" crossings, by passing as close as possible while slowing down as little as possible, now find it more difficult to judge my (sometiomes exaggeratedly) erratic progress.

I also now have something to throw at them if necessary [:D]

Or perhaps they fear the consequences of running over someone who might be blind?

[quote user="woolybanana"]Surely, even a French driver would not run over a blind person who was lying in the road?

But, by implication in your post, they would run over a sighted person lying in the road.[/quote]

Dear Wooly, how perceptive you are![;-)]

Norman is too busy painting his new barrel to do it. Or trying out the begging locally; I guess there will be more rich foreigners around his new barrel so he should do better in season.

But I am not sure that sitting on the pavement with a chicken will be an advantage, puppies seem so much more appealing!

[quote user="tinabee"].OTOH I had assumed that the use of barrel was a shortened version of barrel drum, where drum was synonymous with one's abode, as in "spin his drum" . . .  . I think I may have spent too long mixing in the wrong circles . . .[/quote]Or even spinning in the wrong circles[:D]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Surely, even a French driver would not run over a blind person who was lying in the road? But, by implication in your post, they would run over a sighted person lying in the road.[/quote]

My post implied that although some drivers (I did not specify French ones) like to frighten, or challenge the agility of a person on a crossing, by maintaining their speed and, passing as close as possible, if that person is making unsteady and erratic progress the driver often feels his judgement too challenged, and will actually stop to allow him to cross safely..

Challenging a blind person on a crossing would be less fun, as they would not be aware of the danger, or even of the proximity of the car.

I did not mention the case of a person lying in the road, but, on reflection, if some drivers didn't know they were blind, that is, they couldn't see a white stick, they might well run over them on principle.

It was my opinion when I lived in France that some drivers probably got a white stick out when they got out of their cars!

I cannot say I have not thought the same in the UK, but it has to be said far more infrequently. [Www]

[quote user="nomoss"]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Surely, even a French driver would not run over a blind person who was lying in the road? But, by implication in your post, they would run over a sighted person lying in the road.[/quote]

Challenging a blind person on a crossing would be less fun, as they would not be aware of the danger, or even of the proximity of the car.

[/quote]Surely they would hear the approaching vehicle unless they were very deaf as well