Ebola

Val_2

France it appears gets 270 tons of illegal bush meat at Paris airport each year .... So how much do they not get ? I know of a dog that when it comes to meat...Would find that lot in a search of bags in no time if they want to borrow it !

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/10/ebola-bushmeat-risk-europe-food-safety-expert-assessment

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst watching the film "Along came Polly" yesterday, I heard the first reference to the Ebola virus and this film was released in 2004 having obviously been actually written earlier so not a new issue but one which the world wide media have now been able to get into your minds and all of a sudden it's the greatest risk to humanity since the last greatest risk to humanity.

True..and heaven forbid an American has caught it! Get a couple more infections in the West and then finally they might decide to do the only thing that will make a difference, which is to help to deal with the infection and bring it under control in the countries where it is epidemic. Filling in a questionnaire at an airport is like putting a sticking plaster on a ruptured artery.

[quote user="lindal1000"]True..and heaven forbid an American has caught it! Get a couple more infections in the West and then finally they might decide to do the only thing that will make a difference, which is to help to deal with the infection and bring it under control in the countries where it is epidemic. Filling in a questionnaire at an airport is like putting a sticking plaster on a ruptured artery.[/quote]

As Boris said on Sunday you need to test people leaving the countries not when they arrive in other countries. Taking a persons temperature at airports is pointless, it is just window dressing to make people feel safer but it does nothing because it is only the last week or so that peoples temperature rises enough to measure (according to what his advisors have told him which I am just repeating) which means people carrying the decease can pass through the controls un-detected.

You live in a country that has Ebola... Its spreading near you and as you have the money and ability to travel to get away from it because you are scared .

You decide to fly to Paris to get yourself and family out .. You change flight and then come to London where a person asks you or requires you to tick a box on a form Yes or No to the question have you been to a country with Ebola . ...Will you answer " Yes " when you are keen to be let into the country ? How many will ? Not many IMO .. There is a nurse now ill in the USA with Ebola just because the person who arrived there and later died of it when presented with the question made a false declaration on a form .

[quote user="Frederick"] There is a nurse now ill in the USA with Ebola just because the person who arrived there and later died of it when presented with the question made a false declaration on a form .[/quote]

Just the one, it needs some balance, there are people dying all the time of things that aren't just in the press to sell copy.  It's been around for more than 27 years, even making it into a movie script and nowt was done about the KILLER virus which means did no one travel from the affected countries to run away from it in the last 10-12 years? why now is it so much in the news after one case in USA and one in the UK nurse recovered.  The sanitation and living standards in the affected areas are no way as clean as ours so transmission is far more likely.

I agree, which is why I think border controls are pointless. If you really want to stop it money has to invested into research to find a vaccination and resources to help to contain it. The countries most affected do not have the resources to treat and contain the sick.

We are sending a lot of our people out there to man the facilities that are being constructed help combat this .... I would like to think that their protection has been looked into ?...Not from getting Ebola but from large numbers who may descend on the centers seeking drugs and treatment .

http://online.wsj.com/articles/up-to-10-000-new-ebola-cases-could-occur-each-week-says-who-1413293490

Frederick,

As a retired military medic I can assure you that all aspects of security will have been carefully planned and soundly implemented. Assuming the politicians can resist meddling the teams should be well capable of looking after themselves.

I think I may have spotted a little hole in the plans for questioning people arriving at Gatwick etc.  I passed through there last Friday, it wasn't crowded at passport control (very unusual) and a flight from Paris had landed around the same time as mine.

I, like a good majority of passengers arriving from many places just slapped our passports on the 'chip and pin' machines and went through, I didn't speak to one person in the whole process let alone questionnaires or temperature checks. In fact I'm probably running a bit of a temperature as I have a stinky cold but nobody stopped me.