Did anyone else get THIRTEEN state pension payments last year?

mint

Doing my tax return and making hard work of it as usual.

Going through my bank statements, I seemed to have received 13 state pension payments last year.  Looked at OH's and he only had 12, as usual.

This 13 payments of mine (2 in September) threw my calculations a bit.  Checked the bank statements again and, sure enough, it was 13 payments for the year.

They can't surely have made an error and paid me TWICE?  So I thought I'd ask in case anyone else has also been so fortunate???

State pensions are paid every 4 week and therefore you should get 13 payments every year. Very occasionally you could get 14 payments.

Government pensions (at least NHS pensions) are paid on a set day each month and you will only get 12 payments.

OH received 13 payments as usual last year.

Mint everyone should receive 13 payments of their oap every year .... it is paid every 28 days and there are 13 lots of 28 days in each year.

if you look again you might find your OH's missing 13th payment.

Sue - smiley face

Edit : Andy beat me to it but at least we agree !

Yes, found it now.  My "extra" payment was in July and his in September.  Must depend on which month you start taking your pension, I suppose.

Or maybe, the govt needs to stagger out the 13th payment, to be able to "last" till the end of the year[:P]

Do you think it's the treasury's payment day loan................[:D]

Husband has a programme on his 'puter for his UK bank account that totals all OAP etc payments for the tax year. I  think I've been underestimating mine [:$]

Don't HMRC send you a statement each year of your tax code including total OAP receipts?

I find it a real nuisance, since the day changes each month, so you can't programme a regular payment from the pension, (it would suit me to pay the two local taxes with the OAP for example)  since those are taken on the same day each month

A statement, doubt they would, IF it was PAYE  taxable, then they would send a P60, but it isn't.

The day doesn't change NH, just the date each four weeks, mine is on a Tuesday and husband's on a Monday, but  they pay early if there is a bank holiday........... UNLIKE the french pensions, who make people wait even longer[:@]

Agree, Idun, but for NOrmanH's need, they come on differnt days, and he would want a system where they are paid on the same date of each month.

Interwstingly, all but my OAP pensions are paid on the same date each month, but I do remember long long ago in my first job that I was paid 4 wkly... so I got paid 13 times a year ... I always thought that was rather nice really!

[quote user="minnie"]Mint - you should have been declaring 13 payments per year on each of your previous tax returns unless you've only just started receiving state pension.[/quote]

Minnie, I HAVE been meticulous about matching dates on the bank statements with what is declared.  Just have never particularly noticed it was 13 payments[:-))]

Plus, I have always done as recommended by dear Cooperlola; that is, use the actual exchange rate on the day of receipt.  It IS a bit of to-do but I do get to lock myself away for hours on end, refusing to answer phone or doorbell and refusing to speak to anybody!  And that's the UP side[:D]

ER....you might note that my "bookkeeping" is a bit like my housekeeping.....haphazard[:$]

IF, I don't need to transfer, then I do look up the rate for that day, OR the average for the month, as I have to average it out over the year anyway.

I don't like doing that as that is NOT the rate I would get, so am losing out and more tax is being paid on an amount NOT received, it galls but cannot think of a way round it.

Good news is, I now have all the figures I need, translated into euros[:)]

I have never bothered with the pink form before so, is it absolutely necessary to send it in?  Seems to ask about source of income, which country it comes from and which cashed ............. so maybe just send it in anyway.

Our photocopier has conked out so it's a bit more tedious to scan and print as I need to use separate scanner and printer.

Will they accept a French driving permit as identity?  Does anyone know for sure, please?

I daresay they should accept a french driving licence, and I would have used my Carte de Sejour to be honest, but as so few have them these days........ and non french we are supposed to have up to date passports, when living in France, maybe they could insist on seeing a passport.

I mention this as our french bank has gone round the bend with regards to ID stuff this year. I am beyond furious with them and there is little I can do from such a great distance.

Will they accept a French driving permit as identity?  Does anyone know for sure, please?

A driving licence is definitively not accepted as a piece d'identitee - as the hospital has repeatedly reminded my wife when requesting something with her maiden name on (UK passport does not have this of course). Whether they would accept a licence is another question all together. Why do you need anything? I have never provided any info to the fiscs absolutely determining who I am.

andyh4 wrote :

A driving licence is definitively not accepted as a piece d'identitee - as the hospital has repeatedly reminded my wife when requesting something with her maiden name on (UK passport does not have this of course)

Was this a Clinic rather than a Hospital ? I ask only because Chancer's link does say that private institutions can choose which identification proof they want.

Sue

[quote user="andyh4"] Why do you need anything? I have never provided any info to the fiscs absolutely determining who I am.[/quote]

On the second page, towards the bottom of the page:

Afin de fiabiliser votre état civil, complétez votre nom, prénom, date et lieu de naissance en page 1 du présent document et joignez une copie de justificatif de votre identité.

Just under that, they ask you to joignez obligatoirement un RIB

This, AFAIK, has never been asked for before......or else, this is the first time I have noticed it![:-))]