Applying for renewal of UK passport (from France and not online)

minnie

Wonder if anyone who has recently used this method can assist. OH needs to renew his passport. I've downloaded a blank form for completion and also the payment form (think the cost is 105.86). I'm stumped as to where this application is to be posted though. Can somebody help please. Thanks in anticipation. I suppose it should be posted with old passport via recommandé avec avis de réception?

For the information of others, I have established that all UK passport applications from France have to be completed on line with digital photos. The forms are then printed out and sent with the printed version of the photos to the Passport office.

Finally sorted it. The problem we were having was that every photo we took/had kept on coming back that oh had no definite head outline and might not be acceptable. Eventually, last evening, we visited a friend who is an ace photographer. He managed to get a result after a couple of hours and the application was quickly accepted. Posted old passport back just before lunch. Thanks all for your contributions - much appreciated.

[quote user="minnie"]Finally sorted it. The problem we were having was that every photo we took/had kept on coming back that oh had no definite head outline and might not be acceptable. Eventually, last evening, we visited a friend who is an ace photographer. He managed to get a result after a couple of hours and the application was quickly accepted. Posted old passport back just before lunch. Thanks all for your contributions - much appreciated.[/quote]

Do you print off some form of temporary document, or are you without anything until the new one arrives?

Given the cost of new passports, and the fact that no-one has asked to see ours for years, I think we'll rely on our Titres de Sejour when our current passports expire in 3 or 4 years' time.

When it was accepted online we were given a reference number and tracking link. I copied the old passport details (just in case). I also posted the old passport to the address supplied by recorded delivery. We have our CdS cards but if ever you needed to travel out of France you'd have to have your passport. Maybe someone else might have an idea if there's any other reason why you'd be obliged to keep a UK passport in France. I certainly wouldn't be without it.

Minnie wrote: "Finally sorted it. The problem we were having was that every photo we took/had kept on coming back that oh had no definite head outline and might not be acceptable. Eventually, last evening, we visited a friend who is an ace photographer. He managed to get a result after a couple of hours and the application was quickly accepted. Posted old passport back just before lunch. Thanks all for your contributions - much appreciated."

If you have a smartphone there is a good free French app for taking approved photographs https://www.identite.photos The website is available in various languages.

The program has various instructions to help you create an acceptable set of photos. You use it to get the head framed in the correct position and you can then take as many as photos you want until you get a photo that looks like you think you look!

You have several choices ranging from just printing it off yourself (free), to sending it off, getting it confirmed for official documents and getting a print of four images sent back (6€).

[quote user="minnie"]When it was accepted online we were given a reference number and tracking link. I copied the old passport details (just in case). I also posted the old passport to the address supplied by recorded delivery. We have our CdS cards but if ever you needed to travel out of France you'd have to have your passport. Maybe someone else might have an idea if there's any other reason why you'd be obliged to keep a UK passport in France. I certainly wouldn't be without it.[/quote]

Thank you.

I understand from THIS INFORMATION that we can travel within the Schengen Zone with our French Titres de Séjour.

Under the heading "Circuler dans l'espace Schengen" it says : -

"Un visa de long séjour ou un titre de séjour délivré par un Etat

Schengen vous autorise à voyager ou séjourner dans un autre pays de

l'espace Schengen pendant un court séjour (90 jours sur toute période de

180 jours"

We normally go only to Spain, Denmark, Sweden, and Germany. We have no plans nor reason to go to the UK, but I'm sure we would not be denied entry, and probably not exit, if we show our French Titres there.

[quote user="minnie"]One wonders whether the same will apply to our new, post Brexit cards....[/quote]

No need to wonder.

The new card will still be issued by a Schengen state, so the answer to your wondering is in the above quote. : -

"Un visa de long séjour ou un titre de séjour délivré par un Etat

Schengen
vous autorise à voyager ou séjourner dans un autre pays de

l'espace Schengen pendant un court séjour (90 jours sur toute période de

180 jours"

Any travel outside the Schengen zone would require a passport, so anywhere else would need a passport, and sometimes a visa ... I would certainly not like my lack of passport to limit where I might want to go in the world, surely one of the perks of being retired and being able to make those decisions, if you so wish.

Since I have no desire to take French nationality, even though I am sure I would be eligible, but do want to have the freedom to go where I would like to go outside the Schengen area, I know what I shall do when it comes up for renewal.

And that is even though I have a CdS, which does NOT give me the same freedoms as the ownership of a passport does.

I so agree with you Judith. I certainly would not risk being without a passport. There's always a chance that you may want to travel outside of schengen area. If you renew it as appropriate it is so much easier than letting it lapse and having to start from scratch. I would reiterate that the process was simple. Our problem was with the digital photo. We don't have a smartphone as we have no indoor reception but we retain an old fashioned nokia for motoring needs. We did solve the problem fairly simply by using a friend who is good with a camera, my photos are basically aim, fire and hope for the best!

Quite, Minnie, and yes, the cost is irrelevant for the benefits it gives.  I last did it before it was all online, but when it is due (2022 I think) I am sure it will all have been smoothed out .. interestingly my first passport was a British Visitor passport when I was 17 and came to France on a school exchange .. I have all my past full passports, I think,  and it is quite interesting to compare the photos, you can see it is basically still me, but ageing gently!! 

That's useful Judith as you don't need anyone to countersign if you are still recognisable from your previous photo. It was a simple procedure but we were having difficulty with acceptable photo as the background has to be light and oh is almost bald so it all blended in. Our good friend took a professional photo and all was well. Also we don't have smartphones as we have no reception indoors.

Indeed, Minnie, background has to be light, and if you are pale skinned with no hair, it can be difficult!   As for the photos, I think they did used to ask for counter signatures each time, but these days, as you say, unless you have changed greatly there seems to be no need.   Hope it all goes smoothly from now on!

• 2 weeks later...