Jonathan Miller and Clive James on the same day:(

NormanH

I am also thinking of Gary Rhodes whose death has also been announced today.

Do they still make them like that, talented and real gentlemen?

Gary Rhodes (perhaps not known to Norman H) was a superb chef.  He got his first Michelin star when he was cooking at the Castle Hotel in Taunton when I was also living there. 

As the other two were so well-known and beloved, I will add a couple of lines about GR.  He came from a humble family of 4 children.  His father left them when Gary was only 6 and he soon became responsible for the family's meals after his mother went back to work.

He remembered (with fondness and no resentment) of when he'd finish school and would have to pick his young sister from her school and took her home and gave her her tea.

What I loved about him were his hands, they were spotlessly clean and he handled all the food with such precision and care.  Thankfully, he did not belong to the school of "just bung it all in and wait till it cooked"

His hands always make me think of musician's hands; the same cleanliness (musicians always look after their hands) and precise movements.

I mourn all three, but Jonathan Miller and Clive James lived with terrible illnesses at the end of long and superb careers.

Gary Rhodes was a superb chef, who Ingreatly admired, and who has died at such a very young age - he was only 59.

RIP to all three.

I wasn’t aware of Gary Rhodes’ background, Mint, so thank you for that.

I just watched a re-run of Mary Beard's interview with Clive James, first aired 11 months ago, as a BBC dedication to him.

Given the duration since his diagnosis with leukemia 8 years ago, when he was told he didn't have any length of time left, he was still suprisingly upbeat and on form.

An absolute master of his profession.

Mint, as ever you describe things so well. Yes, I couldn't believe it yesterday as one after another was announced.  Gary Rhodes going at such a young age is particularly sad, as you say, at least the others had a good life even up to the end.  Stephen Cleobury too, but likewise he had the opportunity to live his life well and achieve what he wanted to do.  Mortality seems quite close at times, which is somewhat frightening, given that there is so much more I want to achieve in my life!