Snakes; no not politicians!

Ken

April sees snakes come out of hibernation. They are a protected species in France and if you kill one then the penalty is up to two years in prison and thousands in fines. That is all snakes by the way, venomous or not. I have seen several in my garden over the years and the most frightening have been the couleuvre a magnificent looking snake that grows to around 2 metres and is very common in SW France. It can bite if cornered but is not lethal. Beautiful colouring and part of nature.

I have turned part of my lawn area into a 'wild' garden to encourage butterflies and bees etc but hopefully I will see a few more snakes as well!! despite them frightening the life out of me! Vipers are also common and are venomous but to a healthy person really no threat at all, unless you have a heart attack!!!

I have four cats and they are bright enough to just look at any snake that turns up and not get involved! Spring is a great time for nature, snakes, insects and of course plants. Good to be alive!

Yes, certainly good to be alive, the alternative would not be nice.

We had a few snakes show up when we lived in SE France.  It was mostly wild boar that were always about.  Up here, it is mostly rats.  I think I'd rather have the snakes.

These days, when we walk in the huge parc, I am always looking for snakes.  Nothing so far.  Lots of birds lately.

I am terrified of snakes; even the word "snakes" gives me the shivers.

Our first house was in a more rural area than this one.  Used to find couleuves all over the place.  They'd hibernate on top of the ride-on mower's engine and could be anywhere in the woods at the back of the house.

An elderly French neighbour told us all about the different types.  He said couleuves were "pas aggresives" but I found that they would rear up at you and looked damned aggresive.  The really nasty ones were the little black asps; he said you could be in real trouble if you got bitten by one of those.  He also gave us a tip to never put our hand into the wood pile for logs without first checking to see if there were snakes sheltering there.

No snakes that I have seen in our present garden but I do occasionally see them when I am out walking.

There aren't very bad snakes in France. Even the most venomous bites do not need anti-venom vaccine. Only in the most severe of reactions is vaccine needed and it is extremely rare.

They do like wood piles. I had a 2m couleuve living in mine last year. The fact is though snakes are more frightened of us than we are of them, hard to believe I know!!!!

Apparently, snakes have very bad eyesight but very good hearing and, of course, can feel vibrations with their bodies.

When I was walking my dog in the woods, I used to stamp around and jump up and down when I was near a snakey patch of ground!

Actually the eyesight of snakes , depending on whether they are day or night hunters is quite good. Those that hunt during the day are adapted to the light and their sight isn't particularly good at night. Vice versa for night hunters.

It would have been most amusing to see you jumping around in the woods, for apparently no reason!!!!