How about a live chat applet?

ChezShells

I know of another French forum with a chat room, set up after a favourable response from forum users to the idea. It even has a very nice lady who volunteered to act as coordinator for regular chats but seems to sit there on Sunday evenings waiting for somebody to talk to her .

So I can endorse what James says - that particular chat facility was offered to members of this forum before, but with little or no take-up. I believe it did pick up some members from the old Frenchways forum for a while. Although the forum which hosts the chat room is regionally based, the chat room is open to anybody with an interest in any part of France. 

The facility is available at any other mutually convenient time, if anybody would like to coordinate a Living France chat on a regular basis.

Incidentally, I tried to look at the chat room in the link above, but it wouldn't let me in. I did look at some of the France-related posts on the main forum, which looks very busy and popular, and am sorry to say wasn't impressed by the validity or currency of a lot of the advice offered.

<It even has a very nice lady who volunteered to act as coordinator for regular chats but seems to sit there on Sunday evenings waiting for somebody to talk to her>

I resent that!  Maggie and I talk most weeks... though I have to admit it is just the two of us normally.  It would be great to have more people join in for a chat.  Ironically, won't be there this Sunday as off to France for the weekend.