How do I get a picture under my name

Monika

[quote]Go to control panel, then avatar/photo image. It may not work with some browsers (i.e. something other than a recent version of internet explorer).[/quote]

Will: Thank you for that, but don't I need to send my picture to a Web-site first as I don't have one myself? Do you know of a web-site where I could "dump" my picture?

If you have a photo on your computer that you wish to show on this forum and it isn't currently on the web, you could open an account with an Image Hosting company which in most cases is free (such as http://www.villagephotos.com or http://www.photobucket.com). You can set up a username and password and upload images from your computer to their site so you can share them with other people on the web, these websites are easy to use with step by step instructions, but remember that your pictures will be in the public domain.

When you have uploaded an image onto their site, take note of the unique link given to each image (this is given when you upload an image) as you will need to use this.

Then when you want to upload it as your avatar go to 'control panel' > 'avatar' and add the unique link and it will then show up within your posts. It will need to be a specific size though 80x 80 pixels mazimum.

Hope this helps.

There is a choice to display a pic from a web site or upload one from your pc.  In control panel, 'upload avatar' or 'upload photo' allows you to browse and load one up straight from your pc.  The photo is just displayed in your profile and the avatar is the one that displays under your name. 

• 5 weeks later...

[quote]There is a choice to display a pic from a web site or upload one from your pc. In control panel, 'upload avatar' or 'upload photo' allows you to browse and load one up straight from your pc. The pho...[/quote]

This post is to thank you for your advice and also to see if it works. If not I may have done something wrong or not pressed the right button and I will come back to you if I may.

[quote]Did you tick the box to automatically resize the avatar? If not, it may not have worked because the picture may be too big. It has to be 80 x 80 pixels and checking that checkbox will resize any pi...[/quote]

Hi Debra, I must be doing something wrong: Do I need to put a web address in? I press BROWSE then click on the picture on my file which I want and then a file name appears, the size is already ticked, so what next?

Thank you for your help.

[quote]No web address if you're uploading from your PC; its a choice of either a web address or a file on your pc. Either way, you then need to click on the 'update' button in the bottom right corner.[/quote]

I just had another try: It keeps on saying page cannot be displayed (or similar). Tried it through the Website given by Living France. I wonder if it worked, it did say: successful!!

[quote]I just had another try: It keeps on saying page cannot be displayed (or similar). Tried it through the Website given by Living France. I wonder if it worked, it did say: successful!![/quote]

Hi Monika

I may have mislead you with my previous post.

If you have an image on your computer that you want to upload as your avatar go to http://forums.livingfrance.com/avatar.aspx and go to Upload Avatar. Maximum image size is 80x80 pixels. Then browse your hard drive for the image and click upload.

James

[quote]Hi Monika I may have mislead you with my previous post. If you have an image on your computer that you want to upload as your avatar go to http://forums.livingfrance.com/avatar.aspx and go to Uplo...[/quote]

James - she's already trying that, if you read the thread, but is having problems with the actual update.  She got 'page cannot be displayed...' which you often get when updating on this forum.  I recommended just back paging and then trying the update button again.

• 1 month later...

[quote]James - she's already trying that, if you read the thread, but is having problems with the actual update. She got 'page cannot be displayed...' which you often get when updating on this forum. I rec...[/quote]

Hurrah!! I have done it, thanks to all of your advice and especially Debra's help. Thank you!!