Change Nationality

Maxime

[quote]Can someone please tell me if it is possible to change nationality from British to French. Therefore requiring a carte d'identitie instead of a passport. Have searched the British Embassy website bu...[/quote]

Some people have done this. You do not necessarily have to change nationality - you can aquire dual nationality. 

From what I gather on this site, the easiest way of doing this is to obtain a French spouse - otherwise you have to live in France for 5 (?) years, have no criminal record and be fluent in French. If I've got this wrong someone will put me right.

There seems to be the general feeling expressed on this site, however, that it is a rather drastic thing to do - if you don't want to carry a passport, why not apply for a carte de sejour?

Sounds right to me Superman.

One would have to go to the Tribunal d'Instance, bureau de nationalité  and they would start the process as long as one qualified, ie spouse or living in France for x number of years.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the British Emabassy.

I was only talking about taking french nationality in my reply.

Mpprh, this dual nationality thing? I know several people who are married to french people, as you are aren't you and they have the dual nationality, have id cards and can vote in all elections in France. Are they really not doing this anymore?

Hi

Yes, I am married to a French national.

I can become French, but I haven't pursued it. As I said, I believe the dual citizenship within EU has ended. Anyone successfully applied for it recently ?

A French passport is not welcomed everywhere ! Particularly in the South Pacific.

Peter

My daughter seriously considered a career in the french douanes last year and for that she would have had to change to french nationality which they said would have been absolutely no problem as she fills the criteria of living here and speaking the language fluently. However, at the end of the day the thought of studying at the nearest centre which is La Rochelle and many hours away put her off and she has gone into another career.

[quote]HiI may be completely wrong, but I understood that there is no longer the possibility to acquire dual nationality within EU states ?In any event, the planned EU passport will presumably eliminate this...[/quote]

I have just done a very rough and ready internet search. My judgement is that nationality is one of those areas which would come under the cover of sovereignty and is in the gift of the individual state. UK, US and France all allow multiple nationality - but several EU states do not.

[quote]HiI may be completely wrong, but I understood that there is no longer the possibility to acquire dual nationality within EU states ?In any event, the planned EU passport will presumably eliminate this...[/quote]

I seem to remember hearing something about this, too. Although you can still get a carte de séjour and I'd recommend it for anyone doing anything involving speaking to French Administration a lot.

Last time I checked (a few years ago now) you had to prove residence in France for the previous 10 years unless you married a French national in which case it was 5 years.

Ben Symons
http://www.idealfrance.com

I believe the time period is 7 years. There is an English family not far from us, running a very successful gite business, who have been here about 10 years. They applied for (and obtained) dual nationality so that their children could compete at national level in Squash, I think they are both (a boy and a girl) national champions! A brilliant example of integration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As from today, I am French.

I applied for French nationality last year and have just signed for the déclaration de nationalité at the Tribunal d'Instance. It was handed to me with a smile and "vous êtes maintenant française".

The little information sheet I was given says "if you have kept the nationality of your pays d'origin, you may use that nationality there, but in doing so you may not be able to ask for help from the french diplomatic corps" (rough translation)

I know that some countries in Europe signed a treaty (I think it's the treaty of Luxembourg) that meant that you couldn't have nationality of two countries in the group (France and Germany for example) The UK didn't sign. I haven't had to "renounce" my British nationality. (I wouldn't have done it in that case)

Congratulations on being French (to Mistral)! How long did this procedure take please and was it expensive? My son is considering either dual or just French nationality, as he is thinking about the army as a career. He has lived here for 11 years (came at aged 10) and shouldn't have any problems (I hope!).

Regards,

Elaine

Congratulations on being French (to Mistral)! How long did this procedure take please and was it expensive?

It took a year and wasn't f(righteningly) expensive. I applied through marriage to a French national so the paperwork I had to provide was specific to that.

I gave in all the paperwork in September last year (tribunal d'Instance) and had an appointment with the judge in november to sign the application. I had a meeting with the local police for the "are you integrated and is it a real marriage?" interview which was painless. Then nothing until a week ago, when I got a convocation to go and pick up my declaration at the Tribunal.

As for price, I had to pay for a UK birth certificate (they insisted on it being less than 3 months old regardless the fact that the UK doesn't change them) and for a translation by an official translator. I didn't need to pay for anything else.

If I can give any other info, don't hesitate to send me an e-mail or pm

Thanks for the info Mistral. I think my son's application will be different as it is 'the right of living here' not through marriage. Anyway I'll keep the forum informed, in case anyone else is interested (my son was told he would have to pay quite a lot so....!!!)

Watch this space.

Cheers,

Laine

The period of residence has dropped from ten to five years for those who have no other good reason for seeking to take on French nationality. Full details are on http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/N111.html?n=Etrangers%20en%20France&l=N8

Yes. You need the papers from the nearest prefecture. If you have been here 5 years they require a statement from the English police stating you are not a criminal. After 10 years, they figure that if you were trouble, they'd have noticed. Process takes two or three years. You need to speak good French.