Judas - Episode II

Piprob

Some might recall my tale of 30 pieces of silver, the wages of my sin in agreeing to sell our house to a developer in Surrey - subject to planning consent.

Well, the planning meeting considers the proposal this evening, amid total uproar in the road, and the one parallel to it. The queue to read the planning notices have been so long that ice cream vans and New Issue salesmen are permanently pitched there. Everyone has had their opinion canvassed - MP, paperboy, Mayor, George Bush, milkman, the lot.

Previously unremarkable neighbours now stand like sentries at their gates, straining, alert, preparing for the next sure signs of armeggedon approaching. Its all so personal now - just as several LF correspondents foretold. And I thought they might be exagerating!

Heaven knows what will happen if the proposal is approved first time round.

Hi Mrs O. Hope you and the team are all chipper - horribly brown and healthy looking, no doubt - and thats all to the good.

The developer plans to build a two storey block of 2 bedroom flats, 10 in all, I believe, with an arch in the middle to allow cars through to the back. The road as it stands is no model of style and elegance, its just the the plots are bigger than average because the house were built originally in the early twenties.

I personally cannot see any character worthy of preservation - though I do understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I will be very surprised if the proposal makes it first time. But if it does, I'll be out of there quicker than you can shake a stick!

In reality who would like it. Who would like any neighbour doing that.

That is a lot of people who will be living there with all it entails, obviously more noise more cars etc  what a difference to it being a family home. It has nothing to do with style or elegance, has it. When one buys somewhere perhaps one doesn't it expect redevelopement of the sort.

ps we have an old building that was converted into an appt block around 100m's from our house, so not too close but certainly has not been without problems either.

pps could your 'neighbours' have recourse against you if they believe that such a development would be devalueing their property?

I live in an area where this has happened a lot, frankly I detest it because extra families mean more strain on local amenities, Doctors, schools, hospitals, roads etc.

However people have to live somewhere, we need the housing and its up to everyone to vote for the person who's housing policy is closest to their own principals at election time, not take it out on individuals.

Are any of your neighbours selling as well ?

Cheers Rob,all at ours are as well as can be expected,Mr O up to his usual trick.....working too hard! you have our address ,come and chill out for an afternoon whenyou are next over,who knows perhaps you`ll be in the money by then...as long as its more than the 30 pieces of silver you can provide the champers ,we so food quite well! (marmite butties and shreaded wheat for afters)

I have a colleague at work, who in the past has vowed never to sell her property because it backs onto a little copse which she claimed she had no desire to see developed on.

About a month back she and her immediate neighbours were offered about £100k over the value of her property to sell to property developers and lo and behold, they're now only trees. As they say money talks.

To be honest most people in that situation will do the same, even your neighbours Rob, if they had the chance.

It may sound weak, but I see the wisdom in all your comments.

There are no signs of others selling-up - yet. But I can see that I would be unhappy if the boot was on the other foot. It's just the vitriol, the in-your-face acrimony that surprises and baffles me.

In the months since the development was first muted I have been absolutely open with anyone who, seeing me entering or leaving the house, has asked about the planning notice outside. But not one of my neighbours has ever spoken a word to me.

And my instinct is that when it comes down to it, few if any of the folk I have known would let such an opportunity pass by.

10/9 Post Script: The planning application was unaimously rejected last night, and a 'circular' dropped through our letter-box this morning. It says "Greed has been defeated. Thank you for your support. Let us hope these neighbours move away quickly."

[quote]It may sound weak, but I see the wisdom in all your comments. There are no signs of others selling-up - yet. But I can see that I would be unhappy if the boot was on the other foot. It's just the vit...[/quote]

Quote:

<< 10/9 Post Script: The planning application was unaimously rejected last night, and a 'circular' dropped through our letter-box this morning. It says "Greed has been defeated. Thank you for your support. Let us hope these neighbours move away quickly." >>

Piprob, have you spoken with a local planning consultant? This being an independent consultant who works with clients and planning officials and committees? Often a member of the RTPI and frequently and ex-council planning officer.

Or have you spoken with the planners yourself to confirm what might be acceptable, whether there are any similar developments in the area that have been granted planning permission and if so, how? Why?

Don't give up because if you don't take advantage of the potential of your land, someone else will.

PM me if you want more info.

Carole