Its so not me innit!

Weedon

Well I made a mess of that posting didn't I. (rhetorical question without upward note in the voice)!

The quote was supposed to be about Australians making every statement into a question.

Sorry I'll get a grip - bit of a slow learner - must still be jet lag!!

I remember you, Miki, Bash Street Polytechnic. Sat on the top row and dropped an ice cream on that snooty kid from Eton. As I remember every time I said "starter for ten" you tried to push me up to twelve an 'arf.

[quote]I remember you, Miki, Bash Street Polytechnic. Sat on the top row and dropped an ice cream on that snooty kid from Eton. As I remember every time I said "starter for ten" you tried to push me up to tw...[/quote]

Got it in one Bamber old bean, I think we settled for 11 in the end didn't we ?

Cato and Dick, B's an old mate, it might be silly but it's been a while and it's good to catch up

Bamber Gascoigne, well I'll go to the foot of our stairs ! 

[quote]Jill Did you watch or listen to Bragg's series on the English language? I was particularly interested to learn that many expressions and words in common usage in English English, orginated outside B...[/quote]

"Did you watch or listen to Bragg's series on the English language? I was particularly interested to learn that many expressions and words in common usage in English English, orginated outside Britain and, in particular, that lots of expression I took to be British English were in fact from abroad (especially America)."

Yes, I did watch (and videoed) "The Adventure of English" and I have the book too, most of which I have read. I agree with much of what you say, ie. that foreign words enrich the language - many do, but what I really cannot bear is the simplification of the language that seems to be happening so much and I don't like the way American spellings are creeping in more and more, nor the fact that it is trendy to mis-spell things. Of course it is all a matter of opinion what enriches a language. Personally, I like the use of Pied-a-terre and fait accompli etc in English as I do find it enriching, but the continued use of "cool" drives me crazy! I had someone phone me to enquire about the classes I teach and in 5 minutes she must have said "cool" at least 20 times!

I support anything that enriches a language, but sadly the English language is being damaged by simplification.

Now to bring the thread back to France - the same thing is happening in France with words like "cool". But you are just not "cool" if you don't speak that way.

So, I'm not "cool"! Tant pis!

[quote]I was gobsmacked last night in French class, reading a piece "so say" written by a french youngster... he said he was "cool"![/quote]

Just cool isn't cool, John.

It has to be "trop cool" or "carrément cool".  Or even "carrément trop cool".

Not to be confused, of course, with "baba cool", the 60s hippy kaftan lot.

[quote]John wroteBet I'm grumpier than you. (But I bet Dick can correct me on loads )Bet you aren't. My current bugbears are the male and female bimbo newsreaders on BBC24 and Sky asking appallingly trite/i...[/quote]

"have to have a reporter (or correspondent) standing at some site where something happened two days ago spouting on, often just repeating what the bimbette just told us".

Tell me about it. On Monday afternoon I went down to rig up a conference room at the local cop shop so that a Press Conference could be broadcast live. They postponed it just before we got there. So the reporter called base and we set off back. Half way through the conversation I heard the words "Do you want us to go back?". "An important development" thought I. It was just before the 4pm news so I drove straight back to the cop shop, wacked the mast up, rigged the mics and switched the transmitter on while said reporter was still on the phone. She came off the phone and told me all she had to do was an update into the 5pm news. No interviewees just an update. We would have been back at the studio in 3 minutes! Why? Why? Why?

[quote]I think this thread is getting silly, and you should all stop now.[/quote]

What is wrong with a little sillyness. I that a real word? Any way, it does us all good to be silly everynow and then, the world is serious place the other 99% of the time.

"It's so not me innit" is obviously not a serious title for a post that it makes me wonder why are reading it any way.

My pet hates are:

"You know (y'know)" littered everywhere, a bit like "Like"!

Saying "are" for "our".

And "could of" or "would of", instead of "would have", etc.

Children at schools write the last two examples, and don't understand why they are wrong, because it's how they say them.

Diane