Sad Day

I remember him from a time when only John Peel and me (yeah right) believed in Space Oddity... the last few yars I've been listening to him intermittently on Home Truths and because of that, I keep thinking the circumstances of his own death would be something on which he'd interview family and friends on that show. Something like the horrors of bereavement aborad.

It's sad because it's too soon, but he's certainly stamped his existence on the music scene.

Carole

I was in fact prompted to join the BBC chatroom, so as to be able to leave a message (not my normal style) but he was a very special man, full of humour and intelligent compassion. He tapped in to the very best of people. I used to listen to his music programs, but had grown to really look forward to Home Truths.  Saturday mornings just won't be the same.

Claire

Yep, think my eclectic musical taste is down to JP. Grew up listening to him and his music on Radio London. Loved the man, his wit and his music - even his mad T-shirts. Couldn't stand Home Truths though but he will be sorely missed.

helen

Sad day indeed - he played 2 of my songs in the seventies on his show ' Toothless' and 'He won't tell me that he loves me'. I onece bumped into him in that cafe on the last spit of the IOM during TT week. He was an institution, Home Truths connected with ordinary people like no other radio or TV programme before and gave happiness to many.

The afterlife will be a better pace with him.