Emergency Phone Numbers

We spend a lot of time at our house in France with only a U.K. based Orange mobile phone. I cannot find out exactly what combination of numbers I would have to dial to access the emergency services in france on this phone I dont want to experiment for obvious reasons. Does anyone know the deffinitive answer?

Hi from Redcap!

I've been meaning to try and find this out for a couple of weeks now.  Although we have landline now, I still have my UK mobile for emergencies (until we get time to find a French mobile), and really don't know what to dial.  Being ex police you'd think I would know, but I'm only used to responding to them not calling them!!  Anyone else to confirm the 112 number?

Regards,

Bob(22)

I am curious as to what it is like in other parts of France, well rural France.

The people to call on just about any occassion are the Pompiers.Even if it is a medical emergency they would be my first call, rather than an ambulance or doctor. After an alert, the siren is sounded and they get to any situation very quickly. They may be volunteers, but are well trained, and do everything necessary, including rushing people to hospital.....Or ofcourse put the fire out. I probably would call the doctor as a back up though. And the sapeur pompiers who are professional are one of the most highly respected organisations that I can think of, well around here they are.

So what is it like in other parts of France.

Teamedup

I would agree with that, sapeur pompiers everytime. We are just north of Montpelier and one of our near neighbours is a doctor with the pompiers so I'm not sure about calling a doctor as well...........wouldn't do any harm though. Having said that another neighbour opposite is also one of the local doctors!!!