In an earlier post Dave Olive said:-

"but as said on an earlier post there are more french in the uk than brits in france"

I have tried the (advanced) search facility, but too many posts come up for a realistic search.  Does anyone know where I can find this information, either on here or elsewhere?

A brief piece in the December issue of French News said:

"Britain now hosts the largest French community in Europe (expat they must mean!), with 300,000 French people now living there. London, Manchester and Kent are their favorite locations. Their profile tends to be the opposite of of the British in France. They are young and appreciate the more flexible job market. French students find British universities more fun, with greater emphasis on social life and sport.

If the trend continues, the new French immigrants will soon outnumber their British counterparts in France."

I've no idea of the source of their data, but can't believe that UK gov. departments keep this sort of information. The figure I've often seen quoted for Brits in France is 500,000, and I once saw a book for sale in Nantes with a highly detailed, but out of date statistical survey of foreign owned houses in Brittany. The French statistics office (INSEE?) has a 'shop' in major towns such as Rennes; they may have the information you require.

sc

The following table is taken from the Institut National d’Etudes Demographiques (www.ined.fr):

All the Immigrants

4 037 036

4 165 952

4 306 094

men

2 178 816

2 168 271

2 166 318

women

1 858 220

1 997681

2 139 776

• I have been told that French employers often prefer to employ a French person who has worked in business in the UK. The reason I was told was that such a person has probably learnt a bit more of the “cut and thrust” of British business, the long hours and hard work (no 2 hour lunch breaks), etc. Whereas somebody who has only worked in France may be more used to the “relaxed” way of doing business, clock-on/off at the fixed working hours, long lunch breaks, etc.

I’m sure that if the above is true it is a trend rather than a really strong factor, but may be a factor in encouraging younger French people work in the UK for a bit (improves their job prospects in France).

I'm also told that there's also the 'call centre in India' principle. For a large French corporate organisation active internationally that doesn't actually need to do all of its work in France, it makes good economic sense to be in London or Manchester. The company is at the heart of an international financial and business community, there is a good pool of experienced British workers to draw on, though of course they need to import key French workers and managers, but most significantly it costs far less to employ somebody in the UK thanks to the very high social charges in France. And there are plenty of French employees willing to relocate because London in particular is an attractive place for them to work and add to their experience. It's also very easy to travel there and back when they want a weekend at home. When I go to London, there are invariably some French workers on the ferry and train.

Thank you all very much.  I have to admit though that I thought Richard (from Aude)'s post was the best (even if the least accurate)!

So, it looks like the number of French people living in the UK is growing.  Maybe there will soon be parity if numbers of Brits going to France drops???