Selling Up after Doing Up!

Sarnia

Could someone please advise me on the minimum length of time that we can buy a property and then sell it on.  I think it used to be 5 years, certainly here it is one year and a day, but in the US you can "flip" a property on the same day.

thanks for your advice.

I think that it all boils down to tax.  The amount that you will have to pay.

For instance, you buy your house at X€ + fees etc of say 10%.

You sell it for a profit after six months.  This profit will be CGT and so you make less profit.....and after you have already paid out your 10%.  If you buy for 100,000€ + 10% = 10,000€ = cost 110,000€.  Sell for 150,000€...profit 40,000€.  BUT as far as I know, and I could be wrong, it is the original price of the house and not the one with the taxes added so you are taxed on 50,000€ less the artisan's bills.

I did have this somewhere and can't find it.

Someone else will be able to help you.  I'm sure!

The capital gain is worked out by deducting the total price paid, including ALL fees , from the net vendeur selling figure , ie, the figure actually agreed at point of sale. The gain is reduced from the 6th year of ownership onwards by 10% per year until the gain is extinguished after 15 years total ownership. Only artisan bills with full details including the name and french address of the owner are allowable against this gain.

Judie

[quote]Could someone please advise me on the minimum length of time that we can buy a property and then sell it on. I think it used to be 5 years, certainly here it is one year and a day, but in the US you ...[/quote]

Hi, here is the web address for an up-to-date CGT calculator if you want to sell in less than 5 years from date of purchase.

http://rentalsfrance.com/realty/under5.html

[quote]There are many foreigners living in France who do not realise that they must complete an annual tax return. Unlike the UK where only a proportion of the population fills in a return, in France all res...[/quote]

Judie,

Is that every resident or every household ?

hagar

Hagar, they won't just automatically send you your first one, at least they don't usually. You will have to get one from your Mairie or the tax office around this time of year and get it in by the date marked on the top of the form, although sometimes they do change that, there is often a delay and one has to watch the press concerning that.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]Hi, here is the web address for an up-to-date CGT calculator if you want to sell in less than 5 years from date of purchase. http://rentalsfrance.com/realty/under5.html[/quote]

Do you know of a website which calculates from 5 to 15 years?

Wow, thanks for that.  It's all scary stuff to me so I'll let hubby do the sums

So ... an example would be, in Euros:

Bought house - 37,500

Notaire fee - 2812,50 - their calculation

total - 40312.5

Assuming no work was ever done on it and I sell for 60,000, as an EEC resident, I would have to pay 2990 in tax.

Is this right?

once you pay your tax d'habitation etc you wont be liable for CGT

Afraid not. Once you  make an Income Tax return, and it becomes your Principal Residence then you won't be liable to pay CGT on sale profits.

As long as its a second home you have to rely on the length of time you have owned the property to help reduce the tax burden.