Jerry Springer

Val_2

Come on confess. Who saw it then. We had a look now and again between breaks in other progs and had to say it was really quite well done inspite of all the swearing and sex stuff. I loved the tap dancing KKK but the man in the nappy should have worn a bra, he was revolting to look at. The only reason we did look was because of hearing all the people moaning about it on the radio,looks like their protest backfired and everyone got very curious sending up the viewing ratings. David Soul looked like Jerry too.

Helen. This was the BBC2 screening of Jerry Springer the Opera and was live before an audience in London where it is playing all the time. The cast were all trained singers and Jerry was played by David Soul who with his syrup on his head looked remarkably like him. It is basically a p**stake of the show with all the usual characters like the hillbillies/rednecks/cowboys/lesbians and gays/transexuals/KuKlux Klan and everything you can think of that is controversial today.We didn't see it all but enough and thought really it was very well done considering the content matter and how embaressing it must have been for professional artists to have to sing those words. Something like 8000 "F" words I believe the radio said. If the do-gooders hadn't made such a public song and dance about getting it banned from TV,people wouldn't have known much about it but instead it raised curiosity and viewing levels. Besides after 10pm,kids should be in bed and those watching are responsible adults who decide themselves what is wrong or right to watch and not to be told by others.

My husband and son watched it ( I was watching something else)They enjoyed it, my husband had been recommended to it by a friend from Texas who saw it on a visit to London.(and believe me, my husband hates musicals)

In fact I think the story turns out to be quite moral, ('life affirming' in the blurb) despite the language.

Thousands of people protested at its showing, demonstrating outside various BBC centres through the UK. Some of the protesters drew a parallel between the protest by Sikhs last year, where a play they considered insulted their religion, was cancelled.

I think I remember an outcry about the language in 'Cathy Come Home' (was it the 60's or 70s ?) when it was shown, but it now seems to be regarded as something of a classic

Of course there is still an 'off' button on most TVs !

Getting fed up hearing about this in the news everywhere! As others have said, if you don't like it, turn it off! It had verbal warnings and screen printed warnings before it started and 1/2 way through! Oh, yes, the swearing. 8,000 words apparently. Calculated by taking the word and multiplying it by the number of people who sang it! So if a cast of 40 sung 'f...' then that counted as 40 swear words!! It's certainly given an OK stage show a major boost of publicity!

Yes, i watched it. I probably wouldn't have done if it hadn't caused so much uproar - probably wouldn't even have noticed it was on! I used to enjoy some of the real Jerry Springer shows in the past, so sat through this even though it wasn't really my thing. OK, i'm not easily offended but just can't believe the uproar it has caused - even death threats to BBC executives - when we can all choose to watch or not watch a programme!

P.S. I agree with Val 2 about that guy needing a bra! Unbelievable sight!!

I zapped to it a couple of times, as I was curious. I wondered who played Jerry, who was after all born in England, perhaps even London.

I have watched the JSShow in the past. My son's used to think it hilarious and I remember the youngest howling with laughter when a girl who look liked she had had two full size footballs implanted in her chest came on. He thought it was the most ridiculous thing he had ever seen. Mainly my sons liked the fighting in it. Like the wrestling they were so fond of at that time too, they thought it was all very entertaining and all set up.