Pigs

Teamedup

This week I read an article about 'organic' eggs - the rules are being changed,(in the UK) but I think those of us that had pretty pictures of chicks running around outside were very far off the mark, the amount of chickens allowed per square metre was horribly high........perhaps the same misconceptions apply to pigs ? Organic pork maynot be quite what we think

Ah they do make those rosettes out of something Tourangelle, as far as I can tell there are porcheries of varying sizes all over the Alps. I even campaigned against one opening years ago. 12000 pigs every six weeks  or something like that and we would have been down stream of the place, that is a lot of pigs and a lot of pig muck.  

We have a couple of porcheries pretty close to us in Manche but not a problem except when the wind is in the south west and so not usually when the sun is shining.  However I really hate the smell of intensively reared pigs - you can almost feel the pain of their small little locked away lives in the smell of them.  In comparison of course in UK it is not uncommon these days to see free-range pigs nosing about happily in the open with their little corrugated iron fall out shelters and with their piglets sometimes too.  I mentioned this to the French farmer and pointed out that free-range pork was becoming more popular and cheaper in the UK - he thought it was a hilarious concept to rear pigs outside - and said that in France they were referred to as the pigs that do the camping (les c o c hons qui font le camping! - sorry I had to separate those letters again).

Maybe one day I hope more animals will be reared with a bit more consideration for their enjoyment of life and not just their worth.  My brother used to rear his pigs free range but said there was no money in it then because they never put on enough fat.  Hopefully now our tastes are changing and we are becoming a little more willing to pay more for a happier, healthier and tastier product.

Valerie

We have 2 camels next door to us

Oh but camels are lovely creatures, don't you just adore their big eyes and lashes?  Admitedly they're a nuisance when they're in the middle of the road and you can't by and a menace if you get too close and they kick.  And that they can make a very peculiar groaning/croaking noise but apart from that I love them, especially the babies when they're all wobbly on their long legs.  What are the two next to you doing?  M

They are watching Lorraine Kelley at the moment on the satelite TV. Baby piggies are much more cute I think! I had a pet pig back in Ireland, I was really devasted when we eat Steven, after all he was me friend now and not just a pig (he was very tasty mind) And I think it is very wrong to eat a freind, I would not do it again!

[kiss]

They are watching Lorraine Kelley at the moment on the satelite TV. Baby piggies are much more cute I think! I had a pet pig back in Ireland, I was really devasted when we eat Steven, after all he was me friend now and not just a pig (he was very tasty mind) And I think it is very wrong to eat a freind, I would not do it again!

[kiss]

Battypuss, I have seen exotic animals, Llamas, camels etc. in the car park of a local Carrefour, I think in this case they belonged to the visiting circus.

MWJ If you love camels then you should see "The Story Of The Weeping Camel" film, I loved it so much that I was given the DVD for Christmas.

Sorry, we seem to have moved on from the pigs!

Gill