Living in France

The answer is read all you can about it and visit France staying in different areas to get the "feel" as it were. We are very happy here in Deux Sevres having looked at Brittany and the Lot and places in-between for a house. Working here may be a different thing and I will leave others to talk about that but for retirement it is just great as far as we are concerned. Quiet country existence with simple country pursuits, not for those who like the sophisticated night-life of a big UK city. Friendly people though it helps if you speak a little French to start with. Lots of Brits around if you want to hobnob with English speakers. Good health system and very little of the UK is missed or wanted now. We have not been back since we arrived and have little reason to though if you have family in the UK things may be different...............Good luck...........John not Jackie

Watch out for the Port Salut cheese advert on UK telly. That may answer your question

Saw that ad for the first time last night (dont get much chance to watch tv) - thought it was brilliant!

In response to the original post: Life in France is different, always remember it is not one long holiday it is a way of life.  I love bits of it and some of it frustrates me, but then it would be the same anywhere, I would imagine.

Deby (17 Charente Maritime)

They go to get baguette, the bakers is closed, they go to 'sign' at the notaires/ mayors (can't remember) and are given a pile of papers a foot high. They like the quaint roads, but their car takes a knock, they sit in their kitchen and the cupboard falls of the wall, in several stages......but of course they still enjoy the Port Salut

I swear the makers read the forum

The experience of others is irrelevant - just because WE say it is somewhere between heaven and hell on earth does not mean that it will be the same for you.

If you are serious about moving to France rent a place for as long as poss (12 months is probably best so that you see all 29 seasons) without cutting the umbilical cord to UK and then see how you feel.

John

not