Toilet Paper Hmmmmm

[quote]**...the mind truly boggles**ROFL! Doesn't it just?? Sigh! (Shaking head)[/quote]

Hello RayB,

I`m learning so much about all these abbreviations,eg: PITA now ROFL, excellent, I can communicate with my children a lot easier!!

But we actually know people who bring back loads of toilet rolls when they visit UK, isnt living here all about.... well living here.

Aileen

Great!  I've been waiting for a chance to share a fascinating fact that I came across while visiting the Maison du Papier at Esquerdes (62) last month: 

Loo paper was invented in America in 1857.
(don't let anybody suggest bringing their own rolls from the US, now!) 

Angela

[quote]Hello RayB, I`m learning so much about all these abbreviations,eg: PITA now ROFL, excellent, I can communicate with my children a lot easier!! But we actually know people who bring back loads of toi...[/quote]

**But we actually know people who bring back loads of toilet rolls when they visit UK, isnt living here all about.... well living here.**

The gist of this is that with a fosse septic (septic tank) is that the paper has to be easily biodegradale or it will cause problems. That was true with the one we had in Cornwall. It isn't French vs. UK but septic tank vs. main sanitary sewers. Both types of paper are available in both places.

[quote]Great! I've been waiting for a chance to share a fascinating fact that I came across while visiting the Maison du Papier at Esquerdes (62) last month: Loo paper was invented in America in 1857. (d...[/quote]

**Loo paper was invented in America in 1857.**

I could say, in astonishment - 'No s***!'. . . but I won't!

but why is it that French loo rolls are so small?!

Absolutely, why?  Don't you find you're always buying the blessed things in France?  And the quality is nowhere near as good either but now I understand, it's so it breaks up quicker in the foss.  This is something that's been troubling me for years... 

Pre paper people presumably used their left hand (as they still do in some parts) or a bit of grass or perhaps water?  M

[quote]I know I'll regret asking, but what did the world do before that particular invention ?[/quote]

** I know I'll regret asking, but what did the world do before that particular invention ?**

You probably won't believe me, but it is true.

Pine cones and Corn cobs.

I certainly believe that the cardboard tube in the centre of UK loo rolls has increased in diameter over the years. Maybe there's a technical reason for this, the manufacturers wouldn't want to put less sheets in for the same price, would they?  

Still, I also think that the biscuit, Waggon Wheels has got smaller (...but on reflection, maybe my mouth has got larger !)

[quote]I aways hear my mom talk about using old catalogs and such......but she is only 62 yrs old.[/quote]

**I aways hear my mom talk about using old catalogs and such**

Yep, the Sears Catalog in rural outhouses. Just tear off a sheet. Not sure how effective the were being glossy sheets but better than some alternatives, I suppose.

Brits will know what I am talking about when I refer to the paper that was provided in public toilets in the UK at one time. One side of the paper had the finish of waxed paper and the other side was like sandpaper.

Ah the good old days!

Is this sad or what. I have just read the wrapping on a pack of loo paper. It points out that coloured versions of the product or not produced using any toxic materials and the the paper breaks down easily and is very suitable for fosses septiques and broyeurs. However, I have had properties with fosses septiques in England (plenty of England is not on mains drainage) and the subject of loo paper suitability never came up, cleaners yes, loo paper no.

[quote]Is this sad or what. I have just read the wrapping on a pack of loo paper. It points out that coloured versions of the product or not produced using any toxic materials and the the paper breaks down e...[/quote]

**However, I have had properties with fosses septiques in England (plenty of England is not on mains drainage) and the subject of loo paper suitability never came up, cleaners yes, loo paper no.**

Interesting. We sure were aware in Cornwall. Human waste and compatible paper ONLY!

Our tanks were used by the two of us and our neighbors with three children. We only had to have them pumped out twice in ten years.