Autoroute Breakdown Telephone Number

Jon 1

Does anyone know if there is a universal telephone number you can call should you break down on any autoroute in France?  I ask because it can be possibly dangerous walk to the telephone boxes along the route, when you can simply use a mobile phone.  I also ask because my breakdown assistance has expired and I have an imminent journey to make.

From the auto.routes.fr website

Si l'accès aux postes d'appel d'urgence est difficile et que vous utilisez votre téléphone portable : appelez le 112, vous serez mis en relation avec les services départementaux de secours qui appellent les services autoroutiers. Prenez la précaution de bien vous localiser.

But, as in the UK. if you can its probably better to use the emergency phones at the side of the road. That way you are immediately put through to the motorways own control room, and they will know precisely where you are calling from.

I would renew your breakdown cover if possible. The SOS phones use local garage services and their charges can be exhorbitant. I used an SOS phone when my van broke down on the RN10, man with lowloader turned up really quickly (mind you, this was mid afternoon), towed me back to garage 5 minutes down the road and charged 108 euros for the pleasure! Friends got charged 160 euros. The next time I conked out I had my (French) insurance breakdown assistance number with me and didn't have to pay a thing!!

The initial charge for breakdown services on the Autoroutes are set by the Government.

87 euros during normal hours.

130.5 euros evenings, night, weekends, and public holidays.

Covers their travel time and 30 minutes at the roadside / or tow back to the workshop.